Replacing PointerPoint Cursor at Run-Time

Question

• Hi Everyone,

I am working on a C++ Metro app in VS 11. In another thread I posted about changing the PointerPoint cursor and was told to create a resource of a new cursor set which I can load at run-time. However, I was wondering if there is a more general way to change the cursor at run-time. Meaning can I swap in an image for it on-the-fly without needing a resource set?

The reason I ask is because I am working on an app where the user can paint and depending on the size of the brush and kind of brush they are using then I could change the cursor to that brush. If I had to create a resource set as was previously mentioned then I would have to create hundreds of thousands of images to put in this cursor set resource.

If I wanted to render the brush to a texture then map that to a poly I wold still have the original cursor overlaid on top of the system cursor. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

--TheMCP

Thursday, May 24, 2012 7:41 PM

Answers

• The only custom cursor support is from resources.

You can set the cursor to "none" and try to track your own image at the pointer location, but it may not be possible to keep it synced up accurately.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by TheMCP Friday, May 25, 2012 12:23 AM
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 7:48 PM
    Owner

All replies

• The only custom cursor support is from resources.

You can set the cursor to "none" and try to track your own image at the pointer location, but it may not be possible to keep it synced up accurately.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by TheMCP Friday, May 25, 2012 12:23 AM
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 7:48 PM
    Owner
  • Gotcha, thanks, Rob. Yeah I imagine I'll have to sort my single-frame delay. But good to know the situation -thanks!

Best

• Edited by TheMCP Friday, May 25, 2012 12:24 AM
    Friday, May 25, 2012 12:23 AM
  • Hi

you can try this solution:

http://customcursor.codeplex.com/

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 1:10 PM