Supported Office Versions - Document Projects RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to know if the Word standalone product supports VSTO document projects.

I have read the thread Supported Office Versions which says "Office PRO is required for Word and Excel document projects. This is due to the fact that the necessary XML features are only available in those versions." However, the thread vsto 2005 SE with office 2003 Standard Edition says "Doc-level solutions built with VSTO2005 are only supported on Office 2003 Pro, Office 2003 Word standalone, Office 2003 Excel standalone." Does that mean if I buy Word 2003 on it's own, my document level VSTO projects will run? Unfortunately I don't have the standalone product to test with...

I am presently using VSTO 2003, but will be upgrading to VSTO 2005 in the next few weeks. We will be using Office 2003 (not 2007) for the forseeable future. Is the answer the same for VSTO 2005?

Much obliged,

Paul

Tuesday, November 7, 2006 9:52 AM

Answers

• Hi Paul

Yes, the stand-alone version of Word and/or Excel is supported. See these articles

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/54ds2za4(VS.80).aspx
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2ac08ee2.aspx

Both VSTO 2003 and 2005 are designed to work with Office 2003.

Tuesday, November 7, 2006 12:39 PM
  • Hi Paul

Correct: Office Standard doesn't have the XML interfaces VSTO requires. The most obvious way to actually see this is to compare the "tabs" in Word's Tools/Templates and Add-ins dialog box: in Office Standard you won't find the XML Schema and XML Expansion Packs tabs. (All editions do support the XML file formats, however.)

The Office group at MSFT made this decision. The development of the XML integration cost a lot of money. The thinking was that most non-corporate customers wouldn't need it. So they decided to keep the cost of the Standard package lower; IOW, you pay for what you get. Unfortunately, many companies, being cost-conscious themselves, miss this "nuance" when deciding which licenses to purchase...

Wednesday, November 8, 2006 8:42 AM

All replies

• Hi Paul

Yes, the stand-alone version of Word and/or Excel is supported. See these articles

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/54ds2za4(VS.80).aspx
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2ac08ee2.aspx

Both VSTO 2003 and 2005 are designed to work with Office 2003.

Tuesday, November 7, 2006 12:39 PM
  • Thanks Cindy.

I have one more question: Could I deploy Office Standard 2003, and include the Office 2003 Redistributable Primary Interop Assemblies msi along with my installation package? Would that work, or is there something phyisically missing from the Word version on Office 2003 Standard?

Thanks again,

Paul

Tuesday, November 7, 2006 2:41 PM
  • OK, I can answer this myself. I tried it and it doesn't work.

Seems the Word that comes with Office Standard 2003 is somehow 'hamstrung'. Any ideas why MS would do that?

Paul

Wednesday, November 8, 2006 6:49 AM
  • Hi Paul

Correct: Office Standard doesn't have the XML interfaces VSTO requires. The most obvious way to actually see this is to compare the "tabs" in Word's Tools/Templates and Add-ins dialog box: in Office Standard you won't find the XML Schema and XML Expansion Packs tabs. (All editions do support the XML file formats, however.)

The Office group at MSFT made this decision. The development of the XML integration cost a lot of money. The thinking was that most non-corporate customers wouldn't need it. So they decided to keep the cost of the Standard package lower; IOW, you pay for what you get. Unfortunately, many companies, being cost-conscious themselves, miss this "nuance" when deciding which licenses to purchase...

Wednesday, November 8, 2006 8:42 AM
  • Hi Cindy!

When installing my app, how do i check that the word/office version installed supports my customization? (Not Office 2003 standard edition)

I use a Launch condition to make sure Word 2003 PIA is installed.

/Daniel

Friday, November 10, 2006 7:33 AM
  • Hi Daniel

I'm not an expert in this area. I have a couple of ideas, but I don't know which would be most efficient for a deployment scenario. I advise you ask start a new thread and ask exactly that question: How to whether a valid Edition of Office 2003 is installed on a machine.

Friday, November 10, 2006 1:50 PM
  • Ok, thanks

/Daniel

Friday, November 10, 2006 2:33 PM