Old Clipper Program Breakdown View DB Relations RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not even sure if this will be in the right forum or even forum category, I know next to nothing about Clipper save that it's so obsolete most people refuse to even acknowledge it's continued existence.  I'm trying to rebuild an old program written using some version or other of Clipper back in '89.

Info I have:  Old DOS based program, shared between 7 buildings on 7 separate server computers.  Somehow generated or is using 125 separate .DBF files, some of which have records, some of which have column headers identical to other layouts but no records, and some even appear to store commands.  There is no discernible naming system, groups, or order to their names.

I know there's no sense, logic, reason, or reality involved in piggybacking or extending such a system using something like C# 2010.  Is there a way to break down the clipper program enough to see the relationships between the .DBF files?  Going from research into Clipper I probably won't recognize most of the commands (ie before today never heard of @...Say) but you get the drift.  Once I know how they're tied to each other I can merge them accordingly with the macro.  Is this possible?  If so, how?  If not, is there something similar that might help?  I've read somewhat into FoxPro, but a different thread suggested it wouldn't be a great idea when paired with an OOP language.

Thanks in advance!

PS  if this IS the wrong forum, let me know and I'll delete this thread and move it accordingly.

May the fleas of a thousand camels feast happily on the lower regions of your enemies. And may their arms be too short to scratch!
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 8:18 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi psifreak,
    This forum is for software developers who are using the Open Protocol Specification documentation to assist them in developing systems, services, and applications that are interoperable with Windows. The Open Protocol Specifications can be found at: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc203350(PROT.10).aspx. Since your post does not appear to be related to the Open Protocol Specification documentation set we would appreciate it if you could try to post your question in a more relevant forum. You might also try doing a more detailed online search for related information. 

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | US-CSS DSC Protocols Team
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 10:21 PM
  • Ok, what would be the relevant forum?  I'll repost there.  And for the record google, bing, and yahoo were all fixated on selling me copies of Clipper on 3 1/2" floppies, not with helping me learn anything about it.  I was just hoping someone might know.

May the fleas of a thousand camels feast happily on the lower regions of your enemies. And may their arms be too short to scratch!
    Friday, March 4, 2011 1:20 PM
  • Hi psifreak, Clipper is not a current or past Microsoft product. Please take a look at the following page for information and resources regarding Clipper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipper_programming_language

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | US-CSS DSC Protocols Team
    Friday, March 4, 2011 9:19 PM