Buy a phone with "Windows phone 7" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I just want to buy a phone with "Windows phone 7" to do development. I just need the cheapest one. Also, it can be go online. Anyone has any ideas about it? Where I can buy thus phone? I know that there is simulator for it, but I need the camera function. Simulator does not have camera functionality. Thanks. 

Thursday, November 4, 2010 5:32 AM

Answers

• No, it is not possible to change the operating system.

Whatever you need to get a plan with your phone depends on specific country you live in and whatever or not that phone is unlocked or locked and /or subsidized by the carrier. Subsidized phone (common in the US) would run you about $200 upfront cost. The rest would be effectively rolled into your 2 years contact monthly payment (totaling probably at around $2000). If your phone is unlocked then there's no contract but you will need to pay full price for it ($500-700).

I would suggest calling your local cell phone company to see what they have. Alternatively you can try purchasing phone online just like any other merchandise. It's usually not hard to find unlocked phone even in the US, just not going to be way more than $200 from carrier.

BTW, Windows Phone 7 has a dedicated forum here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsphone7series/threads

Please use that forum for all your Windows Phone 7 questions, do not post here. This one is for old school Windows Mobile devices.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, November 5, 2010 1:40 AM

All replies

• There are only 5 phones available. Pick your favorite:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/buy/7/phones.aspx

-PaulH

Thursday, November 4, 2010 2:50 PM
  • Thanks , but it is related with the plan, correct? I just want to buy a phone with Windows phone 7 operating system.  I do not want to buy a plan.

Moreover, I am having a htc phone with Windows phone 6.5. Is it possible to change its operating system to Windows Phone 7?

Thursday, November 4, 2010 8:54 PM
  • No, it is not possible to change the operating system.

Whatever you need to get a plan with your phone depends on specific country you live in and whatever or not that phone is unlocked or locked and /or subsidized by the carrier. Subsidized phone (common in the US) would run you about $200 upfront cost. The rest would be effectively rolled into your 2 years contact monthly payment (totaling probably at around $2000). If your phone is unlocked then there's no contract but you will need to pay full price for it ($500-700).

I would suggest calling your local cell phone company to see what they have. Alternatively you can try purchasing phone online just like any other merchandise. It's usually not hard to find unlocked phone even in the US, just not going to be way more than $200 from carrier.

BTW, Windows Phone 7 has a dedicated forum here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsphone7series/threads

Please use that forum for all your Windows Phone 7 questions, do not post here. This one is for old school Windows Mobile devices.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, November 5, 2010 1:40 AM