none
Ways to move data volumes over 4TB RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am doing ASR for a handful of physical machines with datadrive over the 4 TB capacity. As ASR does not support replication over 4TB, I am looking into options to migrate these workloads with datadrive over 4 TB. I was able to replicate the physical machines with OS drive. Find below is my plan;

1. Backup the datadrive using Azure backup to Azure.
    2. Once backup is completed, restore the data to a volume attached to the replicated machine with only OS drive. 

I am sure folks out there has done this. I am looking for some suggestions/ options that makes the migration transparent. My plan will require significant downtime and I am looking to avoid that. It seems they are vendors like Carbonite has solutions to migrate workloads with disk capacity over 4 TB. Has anyone in the forum used such solutions? I am disappointed that Microsoft do not have a solution for disks over 4 TB.....

Thanks

TIA TP

Friday, May 17, 2019 10:39 AM

All replies

• Large disks  will soon be supported by ASR. However, we do not have a publicly shareable ETA as of today. For now the workaround is to re-partition the machine. Basically, the re-partition has to be such that it falls within Site Recovery limits. Here are the presently supported limits (for both OS and data disks).

Friday, May 17, 2019 10:49 AM
  • Thanks, so if I have a 8 TB HDD I can re-partition that drive into two or more partitions according to the Azure support matrix and ASR will see it as two or volumes? I thought ASR will pick it as a 8 TB drive and logical partitioning does not matter... Can you confirm, please?

TIA TP

Friday, May 17, 2019 11:01 AM
  • ASR will not pick it as a 8TB drive, as you already know a single disk size supported by ASR is only up to 4TB. If you re partition it to multiple disks, ASR will see them as separate drives. 
    Saturday, May 18, 2019 7:43 AM
  • Hmmm..

So here is my scenario;

I have a physical machine with two hard drives. One is 1 TB drive used as OS disk. Second one is a 10 TB drive used as data disk. It was used as a single volume initially.

I shrunk the 10 TB drive, re-partitioned into three volumes of 2x3.5TB and 1x3 TB. From Azure portal, I tried to configure ASR for this machine. ASR sees two drives, 1 TB and 10 TB and not the partitioned volumes. What am I missing here? Am I supposed to see the disks to replicate as follows?;

1. 1 TB
    2. 3.5 TB
    3. 3.5 TB
    4. 3 TB

Thanks

TIA TP

Saturday, May 18, 2019 3:51 PM
  • Did you re-partitioned the 10TB volume to separate disks ? Just trying to understand that part. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help

Friday, May 31, 2019 11:00 AM
  • I would suggest you to use to third party tools like Zerto or veeam tools to migrate the disks size more than 4 TB but you need to purchase license for that.
    Friday, May 31, 2019 2:09 PM