none
How To Improve roaming In Windows CE RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My customers complaint that roaming is not working very well
    on Windows CE (we are working on PXA270 Development Board).

For example, the roaming only take effect when the
    connected WiFi signal is very low or almost disconnect. Want to ask
    which part of WinCE take care of roaming? If it is open source, can
    provide me the full path to find the source?

And also any registry setting or suggestion that can improve that?

Regards

JD

Monday, May 23, 2011 7:05 AM

All replies

• it depends on the version of CE: until CE 6.0 included the WZC (wireless zero configuration) service takes care of roaming and unfortunately the source code is not available. On the other side the there's a set of API (wireless zero configuration API) you can use to interact with the service: you may use them, for example, to trigger a scan when the RSSI is under a specified value. The API (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee486655(v=winembedded.60).aspx) is not very documented but there's a sample tool using them (%_WINCEROOT%\PUBLIC\COMMON\OAK\DRIVERS\NETSAMP\WZCTOOL) which can shed some light on their use.

In addition you can take a look at NETUI ((%_WINCEROOT%\PUBLIC\COMMON\OAK\DRIVERS\NETUI\wzcquickcfgui.c) to see how the wireless network UI uses the WZC API

Luca Calligaris lucaDOTcalligarisATeurotechDOTcom www.eurotech.com Check my blog: http://lcalligaris.wordpress.com
    Monday, May 23, 2011 8:28 AM
  • Hi Luca,

How about Win Embedded compact 7? I know Compact supports native wifi. Is there any setting where we can configure roaming? 

Thanks,

Sabin.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 9:54 AM
  • Hi Sabin,

Which WinCE version you are using then? 

Which WiFi module you are using ?

As I know, roaming support is provided in Miniport driver, where the RSSI value is checked in each scan and based on that roaming(connecting to good network) is provided. 

And there is no registry setting to enable or enhance roaming support.

Shan_k.

Saturday, May 24, 2014 7:15 AM