none
Solution Design Question RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to seek your assistance in looking into this design.

the environment I am working with already got a BizTalk server 2013 on premises which sits before AX12 (that is also on premises).

--AX12 is the backend system ( on premises)

--BizTalk Server 2013 is managing AX12 services and provide business services that can be consumed by our partners systems

The proposed design suggests that AX12 will remain on premises but would be able to connect to customers/suppliers using Micro services written in the cloud (basically by passing BizTalk)

From a security, integration and persistence point of view , please let me know your thoughts..

regards

Mazin

Regards, Mazin - MCTS BizTalk Server 2006

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 3:58 PM

All replies

• the actual requirements are :

There will be several webservices on AX12 / AIF which needs to reach to the partners (customers/suppliers)

these services themselves are complex and need to be orchestrated.  i.e create a sales Order, get prices for an item, get product description etc..

there is already a BizTalk environment that consumes these services and offers them to client through different protocols (including WCF , ftp, etc..)

this design suggests that we throw what we have now in hand and develop everything completely in the cloud.

the code in the cloud will have to connect to AX12(on premises) directly with no middleware in between. (which I am against) .

AX12 is the ERP system /the backend system.

any thoughts?

regards,

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 4:52 PM
  • What's your argument for keeping BizTalk as apposed to moving everything to cloud services?

http://pauliom.wordpress.com

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 7:56 AM
  • Hi pkr

I am not against moving everything to the cloud. but due to the environment we have :

1- we have our backend system (AX12) on premises

2- there is heavy transformation tasks in some services

3- the data that comes out of AX12 is not great sometimes which might cause some transformation issues, which requires persistence approach to handle messages that fails

4- there are a lot of business rules that needs to be implemented

5- These services should be available to customers connecting directly using transport protocols such as WCF/FTP/AS2/Http - which we already have, so we need to be flexible reaching to the clients

5- from my point of view the use of microsevices can cause more performance issues - we already have performance issues on AX12 due to high load of users.

The suggestion that I am making is to implement a hybrid approach as follows:

AX12 ==> BizTalk ==> Cloud==>Client

this will also support the connections for clients who do not want to go through the cloud 

AX12 ==>BizTalk ==>Client

Any thoughts, which approach would you recommend ?

regards,

Mazin

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 8:57 AM
  • From my POV the end goal of mostly bypassing BizTalk seems sensible to me, however, just doing that 'overnight' doesn't seem likely given the design you already have. So for me it would sound like a good idea to have a steady migration over to the proposed non-BizTalk solution but there are a lot of issues that are hidden there, such as; are all the clients going to switch over without any changes to their code?

http://pauliom.wordpress.com

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 3:40 PM
  • Hi Pkr

I would probably agree with you on the long term and if the environment was different. As the solution for this is required in 3 months. which I think is not feasible to implement.

I appreciate your input. Thanks

regards,

Mazin

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 6:04 PM