none
best method to store data RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I've a general development question, i'm new to programming.

I'm making an school information system, that would important student's information. What will be the best way to store this of data? I'm thinking of sql database. What are other possible choices i've?

Thank you,

Syed

Friday, March 14, 2008 5:50 AM

Answers

• B-trees and B+trees are structures often associated with databases.  I believe that the indexes in SQL Server are actually structured as B-trees.  They allow for very fast searching of data.

In your situation you'll need some type of database.  The type of database depends on many different factors.  If you do not have very much data you can get away with Microsoft Access.  That is a low end database solution that is very easy to use.  But as it grows in size you will run into problems.

If you're talking about storing over 500 MB of data I would recommend using SQL Server 2005.  You may be able to get away with SQL Express which is the free version.  But that is limited compared to the standard version.  You can access these sources programmatically or through some type of integrated development environment (IDE). 

You will have to create a user interface, Windows or web based that allows users to provide the information.  That information will be persisted to the database.  It can later be retrieved for modification, reporting, etc...

This is a very very high level description of what you need to do.  You should probably read up on different database design methodologies and programming strategies.  If you have more specific questions we might be able to assist you more directly.

Friday, March 14, 2008 6:25 PM

All replies

• Flat file, XML, serialized, b-tree, b+-tree: just a few I can think of off the top of my head Smile

How you store the data depends on many things:

• What kind of data do you have?
    • How often does it change?
    • How much data do you have?
    • How frequently is it accessed?
    • How much money do you have in the budget? (Having to buy servers because you want to use a database, etc.)
    • How do you access it? (Do you need SQL type syntax, or is it simple record lookups, etc.)

Friday, March 14, 2008 6:16 AM
  • I think flat file and xml cant be used in my situation, since i do have some important data, that needs to be protected.

• data are names, address, grades, gpa etc, which are important and must be protected
    • It changes almost everyday, but on certain days it will have extensive data changes, specially at the end of the months
    • The data will start from scratch, and i think each table's record should reach around 3k within  1-2 month period, and keep growing
    • the budget is very limited, , no extra servers  possible
    • The data will have add/edit/delete, most of the time adding data only

To be honest with you, i only knew about flat file, xml, and database (sql, mysql etc) storage methods. What do you think how should i store this type of data, remember its a school application system..

Ron.Whittle wrote:

Flat file, XML, serialized, b-tree, b+-tree: just a few I can think of off the top of my head

How you store the data depends on many things:

• What kind of data do you have?
    • How often does it change?
    • How much data do you have?
    • How frequently is it accessed?
    • How much money do you have in the budget? (Having to buy servers because you want to use a database, etc.)
    • How do you access it? (Do you need SQL type syntax, or is it simple record lookups, etc.)

Friday, March 14, 2008 4:34 PM
  • B-trees and B+trees are structures often associated with databases.  I believe that the indexes in SQL Server are actually structured as B-trees.  They allow for very fast searching of data.

In your situation you'll need some type of database.  The type of database depends on many different factors.  If you do not have very much data you can get away with Microsoft Access.  That is a low end database solution that is very easy to use.  But as it grows in size you will run into problems.

If you're talking about storing over 500 MB of data I would recommend using SQL Server 2005.  You may be able to get away with SQL Express which is the free version.  But that is limited compared to the standard version.  You can access these sources programmatically or through some type of integrated development environment (IDE). 

You will have to create a user interface, Windows or web based that allows users to provide the information.  That information will be persisted to the database.  It can later be retrieved for modification, reporting, etc...

This is a very very high level description of what you need to do.  You should probably read up on different database design methodologies and programming strategies.  If you have more specific questions we might be able to assist you more directly.

Friday, March 14, 2008 6:25 PM