none
Generating XML documentation for sources

Question

• We currently use visual studio for generating XML files of our help/comments embedded in our C++ code.  This is far from earth breaking news.  My question is this, can I invoke Visual Studio to build these XML files without doing entire build of our solution?
    Saturday, November 14, 2015 3:20 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi DisplacedUnixDev,

Do you mean you want to generating the help/comments in your C++ code to XML files, but you don't want to build the entire of solution?

As far as I know, we need to build the entire solution to generating the XML files. I have tried in my project to check whether there has any settings can implement your requirement, but I can't find any settings for your requirement.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei 

Monday, November 16, 2015 7:44 AM
  • Hi DisplacedUnixDev,

Do you mean you want to generating the help/comments in your C++ code to XML files, but you don't want to build the entire of solution?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm asking.  I was afraid that your answer was the answer too.  Oh well.  By chance, do you (or anyone else) know if there is an open source project which slurps source files for these styled comments and builds the XML

Monday, November 16, 2015 5:30 PM
  • Hi DisplacedUnixDev,

I don't have used such an open source project which slurps source files for these styled comments and builds the XML.

But there are some communities provide a comprehensive list, which list both free and non-free options. Please refer to the second reply in below link. Hope that can help you.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/641364/c-sharp-documentation-generator

Best Regards,
    Weiwei 

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 1:33 AM
  • Thanks for the link.  I'll check it out.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2015 6:08 PM
  • Hi DisplacedUnixDev,

After you check it out, please mark the helpful reply as answer, which can help other communities who has the same problem.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei 

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 1:11 AM