none
Setup launch condition RRS feed

• Question

• Before installation the setup checks for the .net framework, and if it does not exist it pop up a message and then install it.
    After that the user need to run the msi file again. Is there away to prevent that and continue the installation automaticly?

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 3:09 PM

Answers

• Hi gadgallea

You can launch a silent installation of .NET Framework with arguments " /q /norestart" during the setup.

The command line options of .NET Framework 3.5 are listed below.

/q - Suppresses all UI. An .INI file cannot be specified with this option.
    /quiet - Same as /q.
    /qb - Displays minimal UI, showing only progress.
    /passive - Same as /qb.
    /uninstall - Uninstalls product.
    /remove - Same as /uninstall.
    /f - Repairs all .NET Framework 3.0 components that are installed.
    /nopatch - Specifies that patches are not applied and bypasses patch checking.
    /norollback - Specifies that setup is not rolled back if a setup component fails.
    /norestart - Specifies that the installer does not restart the computer after installation completes. The Redistributable installer returns ERROR_SUCCESS_REBOOT_REQUIRED (3010) if a reboot is required.
    /lang: <TLA> - Installs the specified language pack. Language is specified as the three letter acronyms (TLA) for language (e.g. ENU, DEU, JPN ...). Only one language is supported. Specifying /lang:ENU skips any language pack installation.
    /? - Displays this list of options.

For more information, see: .NET Framework 3.5 Deployment Guide for Application Developers

The detailed steps described below apply to VS2008, if you're using a previous version the steps and path/text might differ a bit but similar.
    1. Go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages\DotNetFX35\en (this refer to .NET Framework 3.5).

2. Open package.xml file with editor such as notepad.

3. Find the arguments text as follows:

4.     <Commands Reboot="Defer">
              <Command PackageFile="dotNetFx35setup.exe" 
                   Arguments=' /lang:enu /passive /norestart' 

5. Change it to:
          <Commands Reboot="Defer">
                   Arguments=' /q /norestart' 

6. Done.

Then, right click the setup project >> go to Properties >> click "Prerequisites....".

In the Prerequisites dialog box,
    check the .NET Framework 3.5 as usual.

After building the setup project, the setup.exe generated should launch a silent installation of .NET Framework 3.5 now.

If it is not what you want, please feel free to let me know, I'm more than happy to help.

Thanks.

Figo Fei

MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg @ microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Proposed as answer by Figo Fei Friday, October 23, 2009 3:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by Figo Fei Monday, October 26, 2009 4:12 AM
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 8:52 AM

All replies

• make the .net framework a prerequisite and don't start the .msi, but the "setup.exe". that will take care of a) installing the prerequisites and b) launching your own setup.

WM_HOPETHISHELPS
    -thomas woelfer
    http://www.die.de/blog
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 3:44 PM
  • How do I do that? I dont understand you.

The setup automaticly start the .net installation and exit. How do I get back to the installation process?
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 3:48 PM
  • Hi gadgallea

Please follow the steps here: How to: Install Prerequisites in Windows Installer Deployment and some guide with illustrations: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/dotnet/Prerequisites_in_Setup.aspx .

Thomas meant that you'd run setup.exe instead of setup.msi so that the prerequisites can be detected and launched during the installation.

If you have anything unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks.

This response contains links reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you.

Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there.

There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Figo Fei

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 3:35 AM
  • This is not solving my problem. After the installation of the prerequisites the installation finishes, and I have to start it manually again.

The flow is like this:

1. CD run the installer.
    2. Question to install prerequisites  pop up.
    3. User click yes.
    4. prerequisites being installed.
    5. Installation finish without installing the application (only the prerequisites). -> here is my problem (I need the installation continue with the product setup)
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 7:33 AM
  • Hi gadgallea

You can launch a silent installation of .NET Framework with arguments " /q /norestart" during the setup.

The command line options of .NET Framework 3.5 are listed below.

/q - Suppresses all UI. An .INI file cannot be specified with this option.
    /quiet - Same as /q.
    /qb - Displays minimal UI, showing only progress.
    /passive - Same as /qb.
    /uninstall - Uninstalls product.
    /remove - Same as /uninstall.
    /f - Repairs all .NET Framework 3.0 components that are installed.
    /nopatch - Specifies that patches are not applied and bypasses patch checking.
    /norollback - Specifies that setup is not rolled back if a setup component fails.
    /norestart - Specifies that the installer does not restart the computer after installation completes. The Redistributable installer returns ERROR_SUCCESS_REBOOT_REQUIRED (3010) if a reboot is required.
    /lang: <TLA> - Installs the specified language pack. Language is specified as the three letter acronyms (TLA) for language (e.g. ENU, DEU, JPN ...). Only one language is supported. Specifying /lang:ENU skips any language pack installation.
    /? - Displays this list of options.

For more information, see: .NET Framework 3.5 Deployment Guide for Application Developers

The detailed steps described below apply to VS2008, if you're using a previous version the steps and path/text might differ a bit but similar.
    1. Go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages\DotNetFX35\en (this refer to .NET Framework 3.5).

2. Open package.xml file with editor such as notepad.

3. Find the arguments text as follows:

4.     <Commands Reboot="Defer">
                   Arguments=' /lang:enu /passive /norestart' 

5. Change it to:
          <Commands Reboot="Defer">
                   Arguments=' /q /norestart' 

6. Done.

Then, right click the setup project >> go to Properties >> click "Prerequisites....".

In the Prerequisites dialog box,
    check the .NET Framework 3.5 as usual.

After building the setup project, the setup.exe generated should launch a silent installation of .NET Framework 3.5 now.

If it is not what you want, please feel free to let me know, I'm more than happy to help.

Thanks.

Figo Fei

• Proposed as answer by Figo Fei Friday, October 23, 2009 3:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by Figo Fei Monday, October 26, 2009 4:12 AM
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 8:52 AM
  • Can I install the prerequisites without asking the user?
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 10:58 AM
  • Is it possible to enter a new form in the installer that prompt about the prerequisites to the user with a "next" button, install them and continue to the original installation?
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 11:34 AM
  • I think I will use merge module
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 12:07 PM
  • Hi gadgallea,
    Can I install the prerequisites without asking the user?
    Silent installation is without asking the user.

Is it possible to enter a new form in the installer that prompt about the prerequisites to the user with a "next" button, install them and continue to the original installation?
    As Windows Installer doesn't support launching two setup in parallel, and it's by design in setup project with a prompt to let user back to the original installation from prerequisites.

I think I will use merge module
    As far as I know, there is no merge modules available for any versions of the .NET Framework, is the question still .NET Framework prerequisite one, or you're referring to other problems?

If there is any misunderstanding, please tell me.

Thanks.

Friday, October 16, 2009 2:35 AM
  • Hi gadgallea

Let's focus on your case on the one: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winformssetup/thread/c925c526-b379-4e45-b261-e891ff512acc/

Thanks.
    Monday, October 26, 2009 4:18 AM