IIS 6.0 Template Cache Flushing and "Out of memory" Error RRS feed

• Question

• User305958637 posted

Hello,

we are running two IIS 6.0 web servers for classic ASP with only one application active. Problem is that every 15 to 30 minutes the whole ASP template cache is flushed / cleared on both web servers. We can see it in event monitor. At the same time the compile errors are rising and the requests will get an error "Out of memory" (translation from german "Nicht genügend Arbeitsspeicher"). Sessions are still intact after this happens, but the w3wp.exe gets a new process id so I think it is recycled. It should only recycle at 6:00 pm and if there are more than 5 hard errors within 5 minutes (standard configuration). No other recycling rules are set!!

I do not know where this does come from an how to solve it. Can anyone help please?

Thursday, January 18, 2007 10:56 AM

All replies

• User-823196590 posted
    Debug Diagnostics may be useful to you:
    http://www.iis.net/handlers/895/ItemPermaLink.ashx
    Thursday, January 18, 2007 3:33 PM
  • User305958637 posted

Hi Tom!

What have I to debug. I think a crash or hang is not the problem we have. The sessions and processes will continue after the cache is flushed. So there is the option to debug a memory leak, but how to read the reports? I have one dump file for 60 minutes (1 GB for w3wp.exe and 50 MB for inetpub.exe). But there is no process which has more memory reserved than I expected. But this can be wrong also ;)

Is there a tutorial for the Debuging Diagnostics? Or who can I send the report?

-----

What I can say is, that there is a "Out of memory" error when iis tries to recompile a script. And after some compilation errors the cache is flushed, all pages are recompiled under heavy load of the cpu and some more of these errors occur until the cpu is on a "normal level". Then the server runs smooth until the next compile error happens and the game begins again.

What could be the reason for this behaviour?

-----

The maximum number of template cache files is not reached (500 for memory, 2000 for local drive). The maximum number of script engines in cache is sometimes reached (250). Can this value be raised? Our server is a dedicated web server with 4 GB of RAM.

Friday, January 19, 2007 5:38 AM
  • User305958637 posted

I had to take one of the servers out of production cause the load was to high after cache flushing which occured around every 10 to 20 minutes. The other servers is running fine but the cache flushing is also happening some times. The server could handle the load better. I switched another server to production which is handling the flushing as well as the other one on production.

But I have to solve the problems! We need the third server in the near future.

EDIT:

The two servers now in production are working fine without repeatedly flushing the template cache!? So this is fine. The third server - when set to production - is still producing this template cache flush.

EDIT 2: 

Flushing still hapens on both active production servers!! But not as often as on the deactivated server. 

Friday, January 19, 2007 8:05 AM
  • User305958637 posted
    Are there some other debug tools or hints how to find out what causes the template cache to clear / flush? Or what reasons can lead to a flush of the template cache?
    Monday, January 22, 2007 5:51 AM
  • User-823196590 posted
    Have you tried the forums at http://www.asp.net?  You may get better answers there ...
    Monday, January 22, 2007 9:45 AM
  • User305958637 posted
    We are only using classic ASP, so if the problem is related to ASP or a Visual Basic (6) Component the ASP.Net forums will not help I thin ;)
    Monday, January 22, 2007 9:51 AM
  • User-823196590 posted
    Yes - my mistake.
    Monday, January 22, 2007 10:52 AM
  • User305958637 posted

Okay, some more behaviour I saw today:

Right before the template cache was cleared, the memory consumption of w3wp.exe was 1.6 GB and after the sudden flush it was 1.2 GB. Before the flush the server had around 2 GB of free memory!! 

Monday, January 22, 2007 12:03 PM
  • User305958637 posted

It seems to be a problem with HugeASP Upload component by motobit.com:

http://www.motobit.com/help/scptutl/pa4.htm

When uploading the memory seems to be locked for other applications. Anyone ever had similiar problems with (upload) components? 

Friday, January 26, 2007 9:14 AM
  • User-823196590 posted
    No ... have you tried to contact motobit.com for help?
    Friday, January 26, 2007 9:44 AM
  • User305958637 posted

No ... have you tried to contact motobit.com for help?

Yes I did. And you can guess what they have said ;-) There is no problem within the component.

Friday, January 26, 2007 9:58 AM
  • User1662872897 posted

Hello Friend,

Did you get your any solution.

i am facing the similar thing.

I am using vb component and asp page, now on every one hour server is getting down and start throwing error "out of memory" in vbcomponent.

In the end i need to do iisrestart and again it starts working fine.

Can you please guide me what to do ? how to solve this .

Thanks.

Brij

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 3:09 PM