none
Recover or redownload corrupted pages RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I just came back after a year or so to update a website in EW4 (SP2) and found that a lot of my text was 'invisible' when i opened the files in EW. I changed the default font and it re-emerged, then when creating a new page from a DWT noticed the layout was all screwed up.

The site itself is still looking fine from the web - it is just the files on my pc that seem screwy.

I was going to download the current files from the site and hope this fixes things, is this a sensible thing to do?

Thanks

David M

Sunday, May 6, 2012 11:46 PM

All replies

• Since we have no idea what really happened, we can't tell you if it will fix the problem, but it can't hurt to try.

Monday, May 7, 2012 12:21 AM
  • First, back up the local site. You don't want to merge junk with good, or throw away anything. Yet.

Next, create brand new local Web. Create a Publishing Destination that points to your server. Publish the online site down to that site. Immediately back it up. Then open it and test it. If it's good, back it up again to non-volatile media.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, May 7, 2012 12:23 AM
  • Thanks, that sounds good, I'll give it a go.
    Monday, May 7, 2012 1:55 AM
  • Hmm, now i get the message "vti_cnf" invalid or similar, and the download stops.

Any tips?

Monday, May 7, 2012 2:45 AM
  • Sounds like you are using FPSE to publish and you've corrupted your FrontPage Server Extensions on the server.

Use Filezilla or other FTP program to download a clean copy of what is on your site. Archive a back-up and follow Scott's instructions about opening in EW. You will need to add repairing the FPSE to his instructions. Depending on your web host you may be able to do that through your control panel or you may need for the host to repair (or remove/replace) them.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

Monday, May 7, 2012 3:16 AM
  • Well, I'm not entirely sure what FPSE is, i only ever published via expression web. I may just delete the whole site and start again.

tx

Monday, May 7, 2012 6:56 AM
  • FPSE is FrontPage Server Extensions and is one of the publishing options in Expression Web. It is the only one that will pay attention to vti files on the server. Given the problems with your local copy I wouldn't just delete and start over without downloading a clean copy of your hosted site per Scott's instructions with the small change of using the free Filezilla for connecting and downloading via FTP.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

Monday, May 7, 2012 1:36 PM