none
Can all VM instances join VM host domain? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I created a domain on a 2012 Windows Server 2012 R2 and made it the domain controller.  I then created 5 VM's.  It seems the VM's can see each other and the web, but not the Hyper-V server.  Is there a way to join all of the VM's to the VM server domain?

Thanks,
    Eric

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 10:45 PM

Answers

• Answer: Yes, but only after hours of headache and pulling your hair out.  It's actually a matter of configuring DNS properly on the domain controller.  It doesn't appear that there is any setup option that will facilitate this configuration.  It looks like a test lab that's set up with the help of VM's is supposed to use only VM's.  Or, to put it another way, the Hyper-V server is only intended to work as a Hyper-V server, not as a domain controller for the hyper-v instances.  At least that's my impression from what I've read, and I am a Step 1 Beginner VM Noob.

I used nslookup to identify my problem, and I don't really know what I'm doing with this, either.  It did report back an error, though, so I figured my problem was in DNS.  I created a forward and reverse lookup (butchering the terminology here, sorry about that) for each VM instance, and had to create one for the DC itself, which proves I have no idea what I'm doing, but it eventually worked.  I'm getting some strange error when I join hosts to the domain, but it's working.

Thursday, October 9, 2014 3:18 PM