Is there an iOS equivalent of obb? RRS feed

• Question

• User393257 posted

I'm starting on the iOS version of an app which I already have working in Android. The app has a lot (roughly 250MB) of necessary graphic resources, and in the Android version I've placed them in the obb, for which I'm using a zip file. In fact, I have my build process set up to generate patch obbs so that updates are fairly small.

I haven't been able to find any information about an iOS equivalent of obb. Is this because there isn't one? Should I just link the unzipped directory hierarchy of the resources under Asset Catalogs somehow?

Monday, March 9, 2020 10:03 AM

Answers

• User369979 posted

Android has an obb file because the apk uploaded to the Google Play must be less than 100MB. However, iOS doesn't have this kind of limitation. The maximum size of your uncompressed application is up to 4GB: https://help.apple.com/app-store-connect/#/dev611e0a21f Therefore, we have to put the image source directly in the Asset Catalogs and this is what Apple recommends. iOS has a good engine for compressing files. You will find the .ipa file much smaller than the original size after uploading to the App Store.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, March 10, 2020 6:51 AM