CDBMS(Codd's DBMS) RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi all

I am making a software on VB.NET 2005 that is named Codd's Database Management System.It is supposed to follow all Codd''s rules though i think only a few would be followed but in majority.

I have also made it to be an independent dbms that supports SQL and user roles.It also has excel functionality so any table you open can have excel functionalities on itself plus sql features also like joins,unions,intersections etc.

I am also connecting it with sql server and oracle so any data can be imported from such databases.

The question is how much appealing is this project to the market and who will buy this after completion and I SERIOUSLY need comments on this project.

Please help.

Thank You

Vinay Chaturvedi

+919962800963

Thursday, September 22, 2011 12:19 PM

All replies

• Hi Vinay,

Well, speaking of commercial usage, there are 3 major factors every enterprise would consider choosing RDBMS:

1. How fast is the system - can it provide similar performance with competitors handling gigabytes and terabytes worth of data.

2. How reliable is the system - can company trusts mission critical data to the system

3. What client libraries does it provide - can company use mainstream development tools (.net, java, etc) to access the data.

I don't want to disappoint you but nowadays it's practically impossible for the single developer (or even small team of developers) to deliver the database server to the market that can compete in the major league. Perhaps open source community could do something but still..

In any case, it's interesting academic product and could give you the nice line to your resume.

Thank you!

My blog: http://aboutsqlserver.com

Thursday, September 22, 2011 3:49 PM
  • I agree basically with what Dmitri said; however, I would list reliability as my number 1 concern rather than performance.  As a 4th issue, I would suggest that it also makes some difference what kind of related tools you have available for the RDBMS system.  For instance, reporting tools, BI tools and other tools that are not directly a piece of the RDBMS system but are used for topics that can sometimes be related to the RDBMS.
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:17 PM
  • If your DBMS really supports core standard SQL then it can't be a truly relational DBMS in Codd's terms. The SQL standard requires that you support features such as duplicate rows, duplicate column names, tables and views without keys and lots of other features which are alien to the relational database model. Have you considered basing your DBMS on Date and Darwen's D instead?
    Monday, September 26, 2011 7:25 PM
  • On completion of this product you can have potential customers who were developing and working on multi tier applications. Now a days there is a market to the softwares that ports data from any format such as text, xml, dbms to oracle or sql server. Apart from excel features if you include xml features to convert data from xml to oracle & SQL server and vice - versa it will add more value. Also make a study under organisations that work with multi tier applications such as banks, and get more insights. Develop the product in such a way that it can be customized and used as per the customer requirements.
    Friday, September 30, 2011 4:12 AM