Design 3 colour swatches RRS feed

• Question

• Well, I'm trying out Expression studio because I have a need for a web design tool and expression web seems far superior to Dreamweaver for my needs. So I'm looking at Design again. Apart from my overwhelming sadness that it is not even a shadow of the original Expression 3 I quite like the interface and would like to see if I can get some use out of it. To that end I have a couple of questions.
    1. Is there any way at all of turning off the wire frame center line like we used to be able to.
    2. swatches - is there any way of changing the 'favourites' swatch in the colour picker or is there any way at all of quickly adding colours to them.
    I can't find a way of doing either but then I do have a habit of missing the obvious ;-)
    Huge Regards Dave www.squeakypics.co.uk/blog
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 12:18 PM

All replies

• Hi Dave,

1.  View>Show>Edges  or Control + H.  I think this is what you mean.

2.  From the Help-Design 2: "You can replace one or more swatches in the Favorites section of the Swatches gallery by dragging a swatch from the Categories section to the Favorites section. When you let go of the mouse button, the swatch under the pointer is replaced by the new swatch." 

When swatches are exported they are saved in an XML document; perhaps that could be edited and imported instead of adding colors to a category (one at a time).

Annie posted a link on her site that might help:
    http://xpressdesign.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!B25BF829544A047F!235.entry

Regards,

~Fred
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 5:18 PM
  • HI Fred;
    The hide edges works ...kind of. I still get a center line in the brush profile when drawing.

The Swatch thing doesn't work at all. - I'm using trial version of design 3. I drag but it won't drop.
    Actually I'm finding the whole colour thing a little frustrating. I would ideally like to have the swatches i'm using (imported) in the workspace all the time rather than having to use the drop downs. Also do you know happened to the linked colour feature in expression 3.3? That really is something I don't want to live without. (I cant find it in the docs)
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 12:37 PM
  • in design 1 I created a new swatch library by clicking on the drop down under the swatches (left side)
    when I use the color dropper for a new color I click on my library and choose add new swatch to library (right next to the delete swatch from library
    I don t use design 3 so I don t know if this has changed
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 12:21 PM
  • Thanks Germaine:
    What I would really like to be able to do is to drag colours from my created swatch into the visible swatch on the interface without having to constantly use drop downs or better yet just have a custom colour library constantly in view. I don't know about anyone else but my designs and illustrations are all about colour so in any app the colour palette is where I spend a lot of time.
    The old linked colour feature allowed you to link colours to each other - like tints and shades so if you changed the master colour all linked colours changed accordingly.
    while I'm at it - Named and linked colours are also pretty vital and makes life easier when a client turns around and says that the 'interface background' colour that was requested to be blue is now green.

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 12:45 PM
  • Never fear!  There is a workaround!

It is a more practical workaround if your design is limited to a handful of colours.

Basically all it is is to create a design file > put in the colours that you want > you may wish to group these into a single object > save the file with a suitable filename in a suitable location sensitive to your directories construction and layout.

When a design that depends upon one of these external swatches (this solution -ahem- compliments ED's internal management of swatches) all you do is copy the grouped object from one design file to the other (placing it into a resources layer (or assets layer) seems a good idea (colours moved using eyedropper tool).

The neat thing about the above workaround is that logos, prior artwork, swatches, fonts, ... images, photos, ... can all be saved in to a design file and treated as an external asset.  Whenever that asset is required Bongo! fonts, logos, ... already there ready for copy and paste.

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 2:45 PM
  • what I sometimes do is draw a  small rectangle on a new document(you can use snap to grid) keep a distance and draw a new small rectangle  with a different color select both rectangles and use blend paths you can set how many steps you like you quickly get a set of colors between the the original colors in a group if you want to group all you need to make a second group with the 2 originals included you can save this and open when needed

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 3:11 PM
  • Good thought BBB

I guess my quickest way of doing what I want is to create my assets in XaraXtreme (my current vector app) and import them as and when I need any of designs features.

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 3:22 PM
  • blending colors

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 3:49 PM
  • I guess my quickest way of doing what I want is to create my assets in XaraXtreme (my current vector app) and import them as and when I need any of designs features.

Hmm

In Xara?  As vectors or bitmaps?
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 8:23 PM
  • Either really. I guess I was looking into Design as a layout tool for Expression web. For working out colours and themes I think Xara it would be much quicker. For what I want anyway.

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 8:58 PM