Blend Memory Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, I have noticed a peculiar issue with Blend 3 and what appears to be its lack of ability to dump inactive memory that was previously allocated. (WPF project) If I open my project and run it through Blend, it takes up a larger chunk of memory(to be expected). Then I close my debug instance of my application and do it again, and again. Each time I run my project through Blend, it takes up more memory, without ever releasing any memory from the previous debug session. After doing this 4 or 5 times, I get an out of memory exception and am forced to shut down Blend.(Blend memory in task manager has reached almost a 1GB) Is this a known issue/ is there a workaround? I have a crash dump file that I can send if there is an appropriate place to send it, as it is very large. (1GB) Thanks in advance!
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 12:15 PM

All replies

• Ok so I was able to compress the dump file to 275MB and have uploaded it here
     http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2965011/Blend3MemDump.zip
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 12:27 PM
  • Was anyone able to check this out or have any thoughts as to what the problem might be?
    Friday, January 8, 2010 5:18 PM
  • Hi,

I will make sure the appropiate people take a look at this problem.  If it is possible sharing out your project would be of great benefit.  You can e-mail me directly at scoban at microsoft dot com.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Friday, January 8, 2010 6:12 PM
  • It is a known issue, however it has proved extremely difficult to reproduce. As Scott said, if you can share your project with us, that would be really helpful. We're working on a possible fix, and I'd like to verify that the issue you're seeing is addressed, or - if not - the project would allow us to get to the bottom of the issue directly.

As for a workaround, the best I can suggest is pre-emptively restarting Blend before the memory use gets out of hand. As your memory increases close to the capacity of your computer, Blend will get slower, so restarting it in this case will allow you to keep working. I know it's frustrating, but I don't know of a better workaround at this point.

--Adrian
    Friday, January 8, 2010 7:52 PM
  • Good morning Scott and Adrian, thanks for your responses. I would share a project with you, but it is not really necessary because I have discovered that no matter what project I debug through Blend, this occurs. So if I were to create a new project with anything in it, for instance a stack panel and a button - and then I debugged it over and over, the same memory issue will occur, just not a drastically as a larger project. No matter what, each time you run it, the memory will climb in the task manager, and not release. Thanks again for the response and I hope this helps.
    Monday, January 11, 2010 12:35 PM
  • I'm having the same problem. It happens when I build the project several times (e.g. making changes and then running  the project). I'd concur that it is nothing to do with a specific project.
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 2:09 PM
  • Any updates on this yet? It also occurs in Blend 4 RTM
    Monday, July 12, 2010 2:56 PM
  • We have this problem a lot. Just a guess, but perhaps it has something to do with the Windows environment, rather than with projects. For our part, we're still using Windows XP. Has MS tried to reproduce this on XP (or is everyone there loving Win7?)

Thanks,

Bill

Thursday, July 22, 2010 5:20 PM