Application crashing with an exception in CXcpControl::CPReportError RRS feed

• Question

• I have a stable and simple applicaiton that runs cleanly on WinPhone 8.0. When I start the same app up on WinPhone 8.1 preview, the initial screen partially loads then the app dies. I have tried recompiling as an 8.0 app with the new SDK and the same happens. My other apps are unaffected by this issue.

The crash report in dev center says that the exception is in CXcpControl::CPReportError, but this is outside my code. Is this a bug in the preview or do I need to do something extra/new to get it to work?

Frame    Image            Function                                                                                              Offset       

0        kernelbase       RaiseException                                                                                        0x00000036   

1        npctrl           CXcpControl::CPReportError                                                                            0x00000066   

2        npctrl           CXcpControl::ReportError                                                                              0x00000010  
    3        npctrl           CXcpDispatcher::OnError                                                                               0x000000c2  
    4        npctrl           CXcpDispatcher::OnWindowMessage                                                                       0x00011ba6   

5        npctrl           CXcpDispatcher::GroupDispatchProcStatic                                                               0x0000011e   

6        coremessaging    Microsoft__CoreUI__DispatchGroupHandler$CallbackThunk                                                 0x000000ca   

7        coremessaging    Microsoft::CoreUI::DispatchGroupHandler::Invoke                                                       0x00000016   

8        coremessaging    Microsoft::CoreUI::Dispatch::Dispatcher::Callback_DispatchLoop                                        0x00000746   

9        coremessaging    Microsoft::CoreUI::Dispatch::EventLoop::Callback_Run                                                  0x0000007a   

10       coremessaging    Microsoft::CoreUI::Messaging::MessageSession$R::Microsoft__CoreUI__IExportMessageSession_Impl::Run    0x0000002c   

11       coremessaging    Microsoft::CoreUI::IExportMessageSession$X__ExportAdapter::Run                                        0x0000004e   12       taskhostcore     HostDispatcher::Run                                                                                   0x000000a8   

13       taskhostcore     TaskHost::RunMessageLoop                                                                              0x00000016   

14       taskhostcore     ThRun                                                                                                 0x0000000e   

15       taskhost         wmain                                                                                                 0x00000016   

16       taskhost         __wmainCRTStartup                                                                                     0x000000ec   

17       taskhost         wmainCRTStartup                                                                                       0x0000000e   

18       ntdll            RtlUserThreadStart                                                                                    0x00000016

Colin

Monday, April 21, 2014 7:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Colin,

You should run your app in the debugger. This will give you a lot more information.

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

@jsandersrocks - Windows Store Developer Solutions @WSDevSol
    Getting Started With Windows Azure Mobile Services development? Click here
    Getting Started With Windows Phone or Store app development? Click here
    My Team Blog: Windows Store & Phone Developer Solutions
    My Blog: Http Client Protocol Issues (and other fun stuff I support)

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 12:03 PM
  • Hi

Just wondering if you had any joy with getting this resolved?  I have exactly the same problem.  I cannot reproduce myself, but seeing plenty of crash reports in the dev center.

- thanks

Monday, June 23, 2014 6:07 AM
  • Same here. Could you find any soulution ? I could not reproduce this error on my phones ...

Alex S.

Sunday, June 29, 2014 4:50 PM
  • I'm getting the same stack, could some one please shed some light on what could cause this crash.? This seem to be a bug in the WP platform as I don't see any of my code in the stack!

To Clarify, I receive this crash on the dashboard of the dev potal not on my dev environment. The OS version on the user's device is 8.0

• Edited by bluephoton Thursday, July 10, 2014 12:20 AM
    Thursday, July 10, 2014 12:17 AM
  • If anyone does find out more about this,  would  be great to post it here.   Seem to be a few of us with exactly the same issue and really no idea as to what is causing it.
    Thursday, July 10, 2014 12:35 AM
  • Just to follow up, in my case the exception was due to a typo in a file path. I was trying to load a resource dictionary (when using the user had a light theme selected) somewhere on app startup and that error gave me an exception similar to the upper.

Alex S.

Thursday, July 10, 2014 12:22 PM
  • Thanks for sharing your particular solution Alex.  It may help others!

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

@jsandersrocks - Windows Store Developer Solutions @WSDevSol
    Getting Started With Windows Azure Mobile Services development? Click here
    Getting Started With Windows Phone or Store app development? Click here
    My Team Blog: Windows Store & Phone Developer Solutions
    My Blog: Http Client Protocol Issues (and other fun stuff I support)

Thursday, July 10, 2014 12:42 PM
  • Hello,

I'm getting a huge amount of crashes with the same stack trace:

Windows Phone 8.1

Exception type:
    EXCEPTION_FAILFAST_ON_ERRORCODE_ERROR_CODE_88000837_APPID

Stack trace:

"Frame    Image                Function                                                                                              Offset        
    0        KERNELBASE.dll       RaiseException                                                                                        0x00000036    
    1        npctrl.dll           CXcpControl::CPReportError                                                                            0x00000066    
    2        npctrl.dll           CXcpControl::ReportError                                                                              0x00000010    
    3        npctrl.dll           CXcpDispatcher::OnError                                                                               0x000000c2    
    4        npctrl.dll           CXcpDispatcher::OnWindowMessage                                                                       0x00011ba6    
    5        npctrl.dll           CXcpDispatcher::GroupDispatchProcStatic                                                               0x0000011e    
    6        CoreMessaging.dll    Microsoft__CoreUI__DispatchGroupHandler$CallbackThunk                                                 0x000000ca    
    7        CoreMessaging.dll    Microsoft::CoreUI::DispatchGroupHandler::Invoke                                                       0x00000016    
    8        CoreMessaging.dll    Microsoft::CoreUI::Dispatch::Dispatcher::Callback_DispatchLoop                                        0x00000746    
    9        CoreMessaging.dll    Microsoft::CoreUI::Dispatch::EventLoop::Callback_Run                                                  0x0000007a    
    10       CoreMessaging.dll    Microsoft::CoreUI::Messaging::MessageSession$R::Microsoft__CoreUI__IExportMessageSession_Impl::Run    0x0000002c    
    11       CoreMessaging.dll    Microsoft::CoreUI::IExportMessageSession$X__ExportAdapter::Run                                        0x0000004e    
    12       TaskHostCore.dll     HostDispatcher::Run                                                                                   0x000000a8    
    13       TaskHostCore.dll     TaskHost::RunMessageLoop                                                                              0x00000016    
    14       TaskHostCore.dll     ThRun                                                                                                 0x0000000e    
    15       TaskHost.exe         wmain                                                                                                 0x00000016    
    16       TaskHost.exe         __wmainCRTStartup                                                                                     0x000000ec    
    17       TaskHost.exe         wmainCRTStartup                                                                                       0x0000000e    
    18       ntdll.dll            RtlUserThreadStart                                                                                    0x00000016"

Does anybody found a workaround for this?

I can provide the minidump if it can help.

Thanks,

Alex.

• Edited by ___Alex Monday, September 1, 2014 2:14 PM
    Friday, August 29, 2014 10:52 AM
  • Also seeing this reported through dev center. Only for 8.1 users.
    Wednesday, September 3, 2014 2:18 AM
  • Hello,

Still no explanation for this exception in KERNELBASE.DLL? My crash count is becoming bigger as Windows Phone 8.1 is deployed and a fix would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Alex.

Wednesday, September 3, 2014 7:48 PM
  • These error generel happens when Silverlight is trying to create some control but fails. It could be some exception thrown from your code. You need to look into the heap to find out the real Exception object for this. Unfortunately, the mini dumps doesn't contain the heap information.

If you managed to get a heap dump, you can open it with WinDBG, setup symbol path and try the following command:

.foreach (ex {!dumpheap -type Exception -short}){.echo "********************************";!pe /d ${ex} }

This will list all Exception objects on the heap and you should find the real Exception object.

Friday, September 5, 2014 7:14 PM
  • I've been getting a very similar issue with my recent update to one of my app #NoteboxPro 

On my test device Nokia 820 which has the OS 8.1 updates there are no issues at all, no crashes.  But many of my users (if not all) have started to have problems.  The app shows the splash screen then immediately dies. 

Without the crash reports (which take several days to come thru) I have had to unpublish the app :(

Paul Marques - Lead developer @Bytemarq
    http://www.bytemarq.com
    #NoteboxPro - http://www.noteboxpro.co.uk
    If my post/reply answers your question then please mark it as Answered. Thank you.

Thursday, October 30, 2014 7:55 PM
  • In my case I seem to have fixed the issues by changing my project references to point to version 8 of Microsoft.Phone.Controls & Microsoft.Phone.Controls.Toolkit assemblies.

Paul Marques - Lead developer @Bytemarq
    http://www.bytemarq.com
    #NoteboxPro - http://www.noteboxpro.co.uk
    If my post/reply answers your question then please mark it as Answered. Thank you.

Saturday, November 1, 2014 9:37 AM
  • Same here. 

Unable to obtain any clue after examining the crash report and the minidump.mdmp.

Hong

Monday, January 5, 2015 3:04 PM