cannot recognize email receiving is reply or new mail receiving ? RRS feed

• Question

• User696604810 posted

I doing contact system web application using c sharp asp.net web api

using library mail kit

the problem is when some one reply to my email from outlook 2010 to any email I sent it then on my web application reply id

on debug show null when receiving .

so How any email server like google,Microsoft know that email reached to inbox is new mail or reply for email ?

I already loop for inbox and get emails then show it

How email inbox message reached recognize that received message is new mail message or reply to mail sent before ?

if i test send or reply for any message using outlook it not have any problem

also send receiving and reply work good

problem on my web application asp.net receiving reply to email for second time .

I need any way solve my problem on web application .

receiving emails not recognized on my inbox web application if reply or new message

using mail kit library .

How to solve problem

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 2:27 AM

All replies

• User303363814 posted

'Re:' in the subject?

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 9:54 PM
  • User696604810 posted

thank you for reply

but re can remove by any user can there are any thing another not visible or difficult in modify

and if you have any sample code for that please give me 

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 10:59 PM
  • User475983607 posted

Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) has a reply to message header.  The client application should set this header field when replying.  See the SMTP specs.

https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc822.txt

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 11:45 PM
  • User696604810 posted

thank you for reply 

i need any web API for reply and have header field 

meaning i need any sample or function web API to reference header fields according to last post thread if possible

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 6:50 AM
  • User475983607 posted

i need any web API for reply and have header field 

meaning i need any sample or function web API to reference header fields according to last post thread if possible

I'm a little confused.  Reading email headers using C# requires that you login to your email server and execute commands.  This is done over TCP; socket programming.  I thought you understood how to read the emails in C# given your response. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=c%23+read+email+from+smtp+server&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS812US812&oq=C%23+read+email&aqs=chrome.3.0l7j69i58.8355j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 11:29 AM
  • User-474980206 posted

while there are formal email headers to track reply, (see email specs as suggeted).

https://www.iana.org/assignments/message-headers/message-headers.xhtml

if the mail server is exchange, exchange has additional data fields it tracks for this. 

also most major email systems now use AI to determine if email should be grouped as a reply. they compare the distribution list, message headers and message content to make this determination.

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 5:54 PM