Transaction Logs backup/recovery clarification RRS feed

• Question

• My organization has been backing up a SQL Server 2005 database in Simple Recovery Model daily. Our last successful full backup was 4 days ago before we started experiencing some issues with our server.

My question is: Can I switch to Full Recovery Model, perform a transaction logs backup, restore the full backup performed 4 days ago, and then restore the transaction logs backup in order to get the data up to date?

Friday, September 5, 2014 10:04 PM

Answers

• My organization has been backing up a SQL Server 2005 database in Simple Recovery Model daily. Our last successful full backup was 4 days ago before we started experiencing some issues with our server.

My question is: Can I switch to Full Recovery Model, perform a transaction logs backup, restore the full backup performed 4 days ago, and then restore the transaction logs backup in order to get the data up to date?

When you switch to full recovery you would not be able to perform Transaction Log backup Untill you perform a full backup after changing recovery model to full. So no previous full backup would not work

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Articles

• Marked as answer by imzyrk Friday, September 5, 2014 10:21 PM
    Friday, September 5, 2014 10:17 PM

All replies

When you switch to full recovery you would not be able to perform Transaction Log backup Untill you perform a full backup after changing recovery model to full. So no previous full backup would not work

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Articles

• Marked as answer by imzyrk Friday, September 5, 2014 10:21 PM
    Friday, September 5, 2014 10:17 PM
  • That's what I thought.

Thanks!

Friday, September 5, 2014 10:21 PM