Offline documentation?

Answers

• Hi Philip,

Yes, the thing you mention seems to be a known issue, I consult with VS general engineers and they told me this issue has been raised for times and currently there is no good solution for this, some documentations are online available.

If you know what kind of documentation you need, you can save them in advance.

And please suggest us via https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio.

Thanks for your understanding.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, July 10, 2014 10:03 AM

All replies

• Hi Philip,

You can download the offline documentation from Visual Studio by "Help" -> "Add or Remove Help Content", you will see following dialog box for you to choose which documentation you want to download to local.

For instance if you want to download the Windows Store App Content, simply click the "Add" button.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, July 09, 2014 1:30 AM
  • Hi James

Thank you for the suggestion regarding the VS help. I had already selected "Windows Phone Development" and "API Reference for Windows Store apps" but had forgotten :-). I have just updated that content but it doesn't seem to include all of the information that is available online.

For example, the page I linked to doesn't appear to be in the offline help. Searching for "AndContinue" returns no results.

Also, some of the offline topics link to online topics without there seeming to be any way to get that online information stored locally. For example, the first page for "API reference for Windows Runtime apps" references "Live Connect APIs" and ".NET for Windows Runtime apps", both of which seem to be online only.

Regards

Philip

Wednesday, July 09, 2014 3:47 PM
  • Hi Philip,

Yes, the thing you mention seems to be a known issue, I consult with VS general engineers and they told me this issue has been raised for times and currently there is no good solution for this, some documentations are online available.

If you know what kind of documentation you need, you can save them in advance.

And please suggest us via https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio.

Thanks for your understanding.

--James

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Thursday, July 10, 2014 10:03 AM
  • Hi James

> If you know what kind of documentation you need, you can save them in advance.

That is really where I was seeking advice/suggestions. I know how to save a web page out from the web browser but I was wondering if there was a better way, e.g. a tool that could give me a PDF for the Windows Store docs, all linked together.

> And please suggest us via https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio

Do I report it as a bug or as an idea? Not sure what it should be classified as.

Thanks.

Philip

Thursday, July 10, 2014 10:26 AM
  • Hi Philip,

I don't think MSDN have such documentation tool provided except Helper Viewer, maybe some third party does, not sure.

Can be an idea, I would not call it as a bug because it is not a function issue but a scope issue. Your suggestion will definitely push the product be better in the feature.

--James

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Monday, July 14, 2014 8:11 AM