How to direct my external domain to my Azure Web App? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a web app (Java) in Azure. I created this via the Azure portal by going through " + New > Web+Mobile". Everything is fine and I do have the "default" domain name associated by Azure as well.

I have purchased a custom domain name (lets call it www.mydomain.com) from www.dailyrazor.com. Now I need to link my domain name into the web application I have in Azure, instead of using the default Azure URL.

So I went through few links - https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/web-sites-traffic-manager-custom-domain-name/

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/web-sites-custom-domain-name/#vip

Reading these articles it seems I have to change the "CNAME" or "A" record using the domain registrar portal to my Azure web app, so it will work with the new domain. However the domain registrar, www.dailyrazor.com only provide the option for me to change the "name servers".  When I contacted their customer support they told me to get the nameserver info from Azure or purchase a server from them (in addition to the domain) and then create "CNAME" or "A" record using CPanel. 

So, how can I know the nameservers of my web app hosted in Azure? I went through here and there in portal but I could not see any....

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 8:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Azure DNS allocates name servers from a pool each time a zone is created. The easiest way to see the name servers assigned to your zone is via the Azure portal.

After login to portal, click on Browse à DNS Zones à and check the name servers for your zone.

Please check the below article for more details.

You may want to check Buy and Configure a custom domain name in Azure App Service

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ashok

If a post answers your question, please click Mark as Answer on that post and Vote as Helpful.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 5:38 PM
  • Hi, sorry for the delay. I can't see my nameservers even though azure assigned a default URL to me.. I can only see how to make a new nameserver, that's by using "+New > Networking > DNS Zone"  
    Saturday, August 13, 2016 7:06 AM