Media Foundation Applications Don't run under Windows Server 2012R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm trying to run a Media Foundation video player under a Windows Server 2012R2 Update 1. I started the application and it said that the file can't be player back (wmv v9). 

At this point I decided to tryout a MS Sample application (Basic Playback) and it doesn't run either. Can somebody tell me what I am doing wrong?

The application runs under Windows Server 2008R2 with the Desktop Experience feature installed..

I have also installed following features under Win Serv2012R2:

1. Ink and Handwriting Services

2. Media Foundation

3. User Interfaces and Infrastructure

- Desktop Experience

- Everything else is also installed

I have to mention that Windows Media Player is able to play the file.

The MF player application is using the media session for playback.

Thank you.

Thursday, May 22, 2014 9:28 AM

All replies

• Hello.

No more information about the error, like an HRESULT or something else.

Thursday, May 22, 2014 10:14 AM
  • As far as I could debug the OnTopologyReady Event is not fired. 

In the function that responds to this Event we ask for the IMFVideoDisplayControl interface. 

Something is not working properly.

In the sample application the same error occurs. The IMFVideoDisplayControl interface is not there so the repaint and all the functions that are called from this interface are missing.

As far as I could observe the HRESULTS are S_OK (starting MF, crating the source, opening the file, etc).

Hope this helps.

Thursday, May 22, 2014 12:29 PM
  • Hello.

The basic playback doesn't return error if IMFVideoDisplayControl is not available (because you could just play an audio file).

It seems that your graphic card or GPU driver or video configuration are not compatible with EVR.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 8:05 PM
  • Thanks for the tip with the IMFVideoDisplayControl. Makes sense.

With regard to the second problem that you mentioned, the hardware problems, I can't quite understand the following scenarios:

1. I tested under a VMware VM Windows Server 2008 R2 with desktop experience installed -Works.
    2. VMware VM Windows Server 2012 R2 with Desktop Experience and MF installed - Not working.

- Also tested an older version which only runs on Direct Show - Not working.

- Sample applications from MSDN tested (Basic Playback, MFPlayer) - Not working.

- The Windows Media Player that is shipped with Windows - Works.

From this I concluded that there can't be a hardware problem, since Windows Media Player works.

I also tested Windows Server 2012 R2 on a real machine with a NVidia graphics card. All of the above tests with our software and the sample applications - Not working.

The video files that I tested were WMV V9 Files, which should normally work.

Would be great if you could confirm this behavior with the sample applications.

Regards.

Monday, June 2, 2014 8:18 AM