none
Discontinued in Visual Studio Enterprise "15" Preview

Answers

• Hi Ricardo,

After installing the Visual Studio "15" Preview and try to create LightSwitch application with it, I also can't find the LightSwitch project type in this version of Visual Studio even though I have installed Microsoft Office Developer Tools. And I also find that the Silverlight application project type is missing.

Since this version of Visual Studio still a Preview version, and I don't get any information about Visual Studio will not support LightSwitch application, I suggest you submit this problem to Visual Studio Connect and then share the feedback link here. It can let us vote and add comments for your feedback. I think the report team will treat this issue seriously. Thanks for your feedback for Visual Studio product.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, April 22, 2016 6:07 AM

All replies

• Lightswitch has been moved to the Office Development Tools extension and has been that way for a little while You can get it from here for free.

To answer your other questions separately.

1. Visual Studio has been on a transition to make it lighter, be able to produce more and run on multiple environments. By separating parts off it allows you to choose rather than be given everything

2. The fat lady hasn't sung yet but she is clearing her throat and doing her vocal exercises.

If you found this post helpful, please mark it as helpful. If by some chance I answered the question, please mark the question as answered. That way you will help more people like me :)

Wednesday, April 06, 2016 1:55 PM
  • Is extension does not apply to Visual Studio Enterprise "15" Preview.

Thursday, April 07, 2016 12:07 AM
  • Hi Ricardo,

For Visual Studio 2015, the "Office Developer Tools" add-in that includes the lightswitch, you can add it to Visual Studio which version doesn't have LightSwitch.

Have a good day.

Regards,

Angie

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, April 08, 2016 7:11 AM
  • Angie,

According to the "15" website the Office Developer Tools are included (see snippet below)

Office Developer Tools for Visual Studio

Visual Studio "15" Preview includes Office Developer Tools with the latest features and updates, as follows:

• New Office Add-in templates specific to Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook
    • Support for new Office Add-in features such as add-in commands, Fabric UI, and a new version of Office.js
    • New starter code in the templates that showcase how to get started with new Office Add-in features
    • Support of SharePoint 2016 in SharePoint solutions and add-in templates

I think what the OP might be having issue with is that he cannot see where to create a new LS project within it.

If you found this post helpful, please mark it as helpful. If by some chance I answered the question, please mark the question as answered. That way you will help more people like me :)

Friday, April 08, 2016 8:40 AM
  • Angie,
    This applies only to Visual Studio 2015 as an example in the blog and not the "15" Preview.

Thursday, April 14, 2016 12:32 AM
  • Otis,
    You the only one who understood. Thank you.
    Thursday, April 14, 2016 12:35 AM
  • Angie, this is an important question / issue - can you please try to get to the bottom of this for us? We need to know whether LS will be supported in VS "15".

Thank you in advance

Regards, Xander. My Blog

Thursday, April 14, 2016 1:08 AM
  • Hi novascape&Ricardo

Thanks for your remind.

After I installed Visual Studio "15" Preview with Office Developer Tools option, I found that there is no Lightswitch template existed.

Currently I cannot get any information about Lightswitch in Visual Studio "15" Preview, and I have submit  feedback in Visual Studio UserVoice site via LightSwitch portal, I think we will get response from VS team soon. At the same time I will also try to get latest information about Lightswitch in Visual Studio "15" Preview via internal channel, thanks for your understanding.

Have a good day.

Best regards,

Angie

Monday, April 18, 2016 7:35 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, it is missing from the VS '15' preview with Office Tools installed. Whether it makes the next cut is hard to tell, I am inclined to think it may not. Silverlight is missing too, which should not be a surprise.

Dave

Dave Baker | AIDE for LightSwitch | Xpert360 blog | twitter : @xpert360 | Xpert360 website | Opinions are my own. For better forums, remember to mark posts as helpful/answer.

Monday, April 18, 2016 8:22 AM
  • Angie,

This needs to be moved back to the LightSwitch General questions straight away as it is more than relevant to that area!

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 7:35 AM
  • Hi Otis,

After I consulted Visual Studio experts, they suggested me to move this thread to Visual Studio forum. If it is more suitable for Lightswitch area, I will move it to Lightswitch general questions forum later.

Have a good day.

Regards,

Angie

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 7:01 AM
  • Angie,

When you consulted with the experts, what did they tell you about LS not being part of this preview? There has been nothing so far from the forum.

To the OP, I revise my answer to your question number 2. The lady is well and truly singing.

R.I.P LightSwitch, You died way too young after being neglected by your parents and no matter how hard your friends try to save you. I'll always think fondly of you

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:05 PM
  • Hi Ricardo,

After installing the Visual Studio "15" Preview and try to create LightSwitch application with it, I also can't find the LightSwitch project type in this version of Visual Studio even though I have installed Microsoft Office Developer Tools. And I also find that the Silverlight application project type is missing.

Since this version of Visual Studio still a Preview version, and I don't get any information about Visual Studio will not support LightSwitch application, I suggest you submit this problem to Visual Studio Connect and then share the feedback link here. It can let us vote and add comments for your feedback. I think the report team will treat this issue seriously. Thanks for your feedback for Visual Studio product.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, April 22, 2016 6:07 AM
  • I tried loading the update 2 version of the office developer tools to Visual Studio 2015 and now its completely broken. I can see the template, select it, name it but once I press ok I cannot create it. See the forum link below.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/0446b062-2ebb-488e-913b-09e39d251c86/second-preview-of-office-dev-tools-for-visual-studio-2015?forum=lightswitch#0446b062-2ebb-488e-913b-09e39d251c86 
    Monday, May 02, 2016 1:38 AM
  • I tried loading the update 2 version of the office developer tools to Visual Studio 2015 and now its completely broken. I can see the template, select it, name it but once I press ok I cannot create it. See the forum link below.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/0446b062-2ebb-488e-913b-09e39d251c86/second-preview-of-office-dev-tools-for-visual-studio-2015?forum=lightswitch#0446b062-2ebb-488e-913b-09e39d251c86 

I think that this has happened because the Update 2 version that has been installed is for the "15" version of VS and not the 2015 Community version that you have.

If the OP can install the preview 2 update and report back I think it would be more than appreciated by the community

• Proposed as answer by Otis Ranger Tuesday, May 03, 2016 1:20 PM
    Tuesday, May 03, 2016 1:20 PM
  • Otis at this site I read this quote with the following link to install it on VS 2015.

"As a Visual Studio user, you can get started right away and take advantage of all the new Office extensibility goodness inside the IDE.

Wednesday, May 04, 2016 1:55 AM