Sql server migration from local physical machine to Azure ARM VM RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have following queries regarding the .bacpac file used for SQL db migration.

1. what is the maximum size of the SQL database that can be backpacked and stored in Azure Storage as blob?
    2.What information of the SQL server on the local physical machine is lost while migrating it using .backpack file?
    3. Does the information of the SQL DB user get stored in .bacpac file?
    4. Can .bak file also be stored in the Azure Storage Account?
    5. Can .bak file be used for SQL server migration from local physical machine to Azure ARM VM? If Yes, How?

Your response will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

rahul mohan

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 9:55 AM

All replies

• Hi RahulMohan-Azure01,

1. What is the maximum size of the SQL database that can be backpacked and stored in Azure Storage as blob?

The maximum size of a file is 200GB.

2. What information of the SQL server on the local physical machine is lost while migrating it using
    .backpack file?

Only supported objects can be specified in a .dacpac file as it is being authored or edited. You can’t extract, register, or import a DAC from an existing database that contains objects that are not supported in a data-tier application (DAC). 3. Does the information of the SQL DB user get stored in .bacpac file? After my test, the database users still get stored in .bacpac file.

4. Can .bak file also be stored in the Azure Storage Account? Can .bak file be used for SQL server migration from local physical machine to Azure ARM VM? If Yes, How?

Yes, bak file can also be stored in Azure Storage. And it can be used to migrate database from local physical machine to Azure ARM VM as follows. a. Use backup task in SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS), select URL from the Backup media type, and get the .bak file. b. Restoring from Microsoft Azure storage Using SQL Server Management Studio. For more information about backup and restore database to Azure ARM VM , you review this article.

Regards,

Angelia

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 11:37 AM
  • Hello Angelia,

Thank you for the helpful reply. 

I have further query on the same. 

1. Migration with .bak file is supported for SQL Server 2014 and above. Am I correct with this finding?
    Also, If yes, how would the versions less that 2014 be migrated using .bak file?

2. in the reply of my previous 2nd Question(What information of the SQL server on the local physical machine is lost .......), you mentioned about .dacpac file. Did you mean .bacpac file? If it is .dacpac and not .bacpac, my questions still stands the same for .bacpac file. Please enlighten me on this.

Best regards,
    Rahul 

rahul mohan

Thursday, August 18, 2016 6:33 AM