none
Kinect for Xbox360 and SDK 1.8 RRS feed

• Question

• I have got a Kinect for Xbox360, and I am trying to use it for developing and testing purposes.

I followed this steps:

• install Microsoft Kinect SDK 1.8
    • install Microsoft Developer Toolkit 1.8.0
    • plug in the Kinect

When I plugged in the device, the new hardware is automatically recognized, and Windows Update starts to install new drivers.

The problem is that a Kinect for Windows is recognized, as you can see in the following picture (words are in italian, but should be understandable):

Now, the green LED of Kinect is blinking continuously, and if I try to execute the Kinect Explorer (D2D or WPF, same behavior) from the Developer Toolkit Browser, I cannot see neither color nor depth streams:

I am using Windows 7 64-bit.

How can I develop with Kinect for Xbox360 on my operating system?

• Edited by VitoShadow Tuesday, March 31, 2015 10:56 AM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2015 10:54 AM

All replies

• The compiled binaries are not Debug binaries so they won't work with Xbox 360 sensor. It should give you an error to reflect that. Open the sample code and build it in Debug mode and see if the behavior is different.

If not, the issue may be with shared bandwidth with other USB2 devices on the host controller chipset of the USB port you are connected to. Try various ports or disable other devices.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 6:06 PM
  • Same behavior also if the code is compiled in Debug mode.

Moreover, there are no other USB devices connected to my PC; Kinect is the only device plugged in.

Still not working...

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 8:03 AM
  • Ive sometimes had issues with the power supply for the x360 Kinect v1. Take a look at the green LED on the cable port on the power splitter. If it is flickering then the power supply is broken and not supplying enough to turn the Kinect laser on, despite the Kinect unit showing a blinking LED.

Does the Kinect itself work on a x360?

• Edited by Phil Noonan Wednesday, April 1, 2015 10:00 AM
    Wednesday, April 1, 2015 9:59 AM
  • The green LED on the cable port on the power splitter is not blinking.

I have not tried if the Kinect works on a Xbox360, and I cannot try because I have no Xbox.

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 8:50 PM
  • Have you tried restarting your PC while the Kinect is plugged in?

This might sound like an odd suggestion but still, run the Windows Update and install all of the latest updates.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 8:41 AM
  • I tried with another Kinect for Xbox, and it works like a charme. Furthermore, the green LED is still blinking, but now it seems to be normal (again, everything works well).

So I guess my Kinect is simply broken...

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 11:18 AM
  • green blinking is expected on the Xbox 360 sensor, it is only solid when using the Kinect for Windows v1 sensor. You may have an issue with the USB2 host controller, have you checked to ensure no other devices are connected? Device Manager, view by connection and drill down until you see the Kinect.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 7:10 PM