Import data to existing tables RRS feed

• Question

• I have created an Access Web App for a customer and saved the App without data so that I could use it for another customer. What is the best way to import their data to the blank tables. I tried an Append Query from Access desktop but it took over 3 hours to add 3000 records. An update query took even longer. Is there a way to import a CSV file without it creating a new table?

Thanks

John Fletcher

Monday, May 25, 2015 1:33 AM

All replies

• I have created an Access Web App for a customer and saved the App without data so that I could use it for another customer. What is the best way to import their data to the blank tables. I tried an Append Query from Access desktop but it took over 3 hours to add 3000 records. An update query took even longer. Is there a way to import a CSV file without it creating a new table?

Thanks

John Fletcher

• Merged by L.Hl Tuesday, May 26, 2015 5:31 AM repeat thread
    Monday, May 25, 2015 1:27 AM
  • Hi,
    >> Is there a way to import a CSV file without it creating a new table?

Access 2013 Web databases support importing data from a variety of sources, “Create a table from an existing source”, will import external data source with creating a new table. Since you don’t want to create a new table, so you could import the csv file first, then craft a named data macro that would copy all of that data from that imported table and then delete the imported table.

Hope this could help you
    Best Regards,
    Lan  

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 8:18 AM
  • I haven't looked into this a great deal, but if your client's data is in CSV format, you may be able to use ADO to query the CSV and run all your necessary DML to get the data where you want it. There's a really useful looking article here by the MS scripting guys that may help you to do this. If this is the way you go, this stackoverflow may be the answer you need:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17056504/updating-database-from-csv-using-ado-and-vbscript-without-recordset-loop

If this is a one-off operation, however, I would have thought that importing the CSV into a new table using the import text file wizard and writing a simple query from there is probably the easiest way to go about it. Why do you not want to create a new table?

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 1:07 PM
  • Thanks for the response Lan.

I am not very familiar with Data Macros. Would it be" On Insert"? Is there a "Bulk" copy command? I would have about 10,000 records to add.

Thanks

John Fletcher

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 3:49 PM
  • Hi Lan,

I am not that experienced using Data Macros - could you provide a bit more detail on how I would do this.

Thank you

John Fletcher

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 9:37 PM
  • Sorry about the delay Josh. I don't wan to create a new table because I have numerous forms that I have customizes for my app and if I create new tables it will create new forms.

Thanks

John Fletcher

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 3:11 PM
  • Hi Lan,

Thanks for the response. Could you point me in a direction to find more information on creating a Copy Data Macro?

John Fletcher

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 3:14 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the delay.About how to create a data macro  to copy records from one table to another table, you may could refer to this case

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1ad48577-4e2d-4791-b707-cd26bc35d20a/how-to-create-a-data-macro-to-copy-records-from-one-table-to-another-table?forum=accessdev

Hope this could help you.

Best regards,

Lan

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 4:49 PM