none
Drivers installed correctly, Kinect listed as not powered or not ready whenever launching sample code RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to run a Kinect application on a Intel D525MW Atom Development board running Windows Embedded Standard 7 Service Pack 1.  The Kinect drivers and SDK installed without a problem.  When I connect the Kinect USB port and power adapter, it is listed (Camera, Security, Audio) without any issues in the Device manager.  However when I run an application or any sample code (Kinect Explorer, Shape Game) the device fails to initialize and is listed as "not powered" or "not plugged in".  I've tried rebooting, installing the latest (1.5) version of the SDK and drivers but no luck.  The green LED on the device is on but it is listed as "not ready" in the Kinect selector dialog. I've also tried all the USB ports on the board and unplugging any other USB connection in case it was drawing power from the Kinect.  The Kinect itself works fine on a desktop I use for development.

I've seen a thread with a very similar problem but with no solution.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/kinectsdk/thread/c0fc94b0-217b-4904-95a2-79a3cfd75f69

Thursday, June 21, 2012 3:06 PM

All replies

• what is the make/model of the USB host controller on the board?
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 6:33 PM
  • The board has an Intel NM10 chipset, and according to the Device Manager the USB controller model is: Intel 82801 G (ICH7 family)
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 7:08 PM
  • Can you try having the device manager open while you run an app to see if the Kinect Camera drops off the bus? Maybe try with a simple sample from the Toolkit like Color Basics WPF

Thursday, June 21, 2012 9:11 PM
  • You may want to make sure the USB hub is running at full power

if you watch the device manager a hub that cannot support the power requirements may drop out

As a test - note I would not do this for regular use but test using a powered USB hub if you have one

Make sure the power injector is used and connected inline of the USB cable

Also are you using a Kinect for Xbox or is tis a Kinect for Windows unit.

Chris Wojahn

Microsoft Surface Solutions & Support

Escalation Engineer, Critical Problem Resolution

Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:36 PM