Server Restore RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have a server that was infected with a virus and therefore had to reinstall windows.  The machine, domain and service accounts are all the same between the two installations, but when I try to execute "tfsadminutil sid /change sbdweblocal sbdweblocal" it tells me "ERROR: Could not access database".

The application pools for TFS are using SBDWEBLOCAL\TfsServices as their identity and I've verified that this account has access to the database by logging in as it and opening each table in the SQL Server Management studio. 

I'm pretty sure this is a SQL server security issue, but I'm not quite sure what to check next.

thanks,

Aaron

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 4:13 PM

All replies

• I should also mention that this is TFS 180 Day Trial edition SP1 on Windows 2003 Standard Edition.

I'm not sure if it's related or not, but I found a few interesting event items:

----------------------------------------------

SQL Server Scheduled Job 'TfsWorkItemTracking Full Text Crawl Job' (0x1406B2D9B37AB74094AC1063C5702A23) - Status: Failed - Invoked on: 2007-01-30 10:25:00 - Message: The job failed. The owner () of job TfsWorkItemTracking Full Text Crawl Job does not have server access.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Detailed Message: TF50804: The TFSServerScheduler service could not complete the scheduled task at: http://sbdweblocal:8080/Warehouse/v1.0/WarehouseController.asmx. The Web service returned the following error: The request failed with HTTP status 503: TF30059: Fatal error while initializing web service.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 6:01 PM
  • I was able to find that Reporting Services were not setup correctly and I can now connect to the http://localhost/ReportServer without getting any errors.  I'm still getting 400 BAD REQUEST when I try to connect to sharepoint directly and the error I mentioned previously if I attempt to update the user SIDs.
    Tuesday, January 30, 2007 11:26 PM
  • *BUMP*
    Wednesday, January 31, 2007 4:01 PM
  • hi.

If you got the message "ERROR: Could not access database".

you watch that DB 'TfsIntegration' and

correct  'servername' column's contents in the table 'tbl_database'.

if you restore the TFS DB, then 'servername' column contents was old machine's name.

you must fixed that column.

also you can use the command 'Tfsadminutil renamedt'. but that command not change the column's contents.

Friday, February 2, 2007 1:47 AM
  • Hi Aaron,

Were you ever able to resolve this issue?  Did any of the suggestions from above help?

-Matt

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 5:35 PM
  • updating the servername column in the tbl_database table in the TfsIntegration database resolved my issue with the ubiquitous "error: could not access database" when trying to do anything with the TFSAdminUtil that required connecting to the database (ChangeAccount, Sid, etc.).

thanks moon-sik!!

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 5:09 PM
  • I'm glad to hear that things are working now, but we don't recommend changing the SQL tables directly.  You should be able to use the TFSAdminUtil with RenameAT and RenameDT commands to accomplish the same thing.  Here is the MSDN page documenting that tool.  http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms253116(VS.80).aspx

-Matt

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 6:46 PM