Visual Studio 11 fails to start

Question

• Hi there,

I've installed Visual Studio 11 Developer Preview onto Windows 8 Developer preview, everything seemed to complete fine.  When I try to start Visual Studio I just get a white window and it locks up, it doesn't seem to want to get any further than that, any ideas?

Friday, October 07, 2011 12:22 PM

All replies

• I'm attempting a reset of Windows 8 and removal of my files, the reinstallation of my drivers and VS 11.  Hopefully it will work this time...
    Friday, October 07, 2011 2:24 PM
  • I resolved the issue and have documented it on my blog...

http://www.w8developer.com/w8developer/2011/10/visual-studio-11-developer-preview-startup-issue.html

"At last I found a resolution to the issue.  After installing Windows 8 Developer Preview with Developer Tools again, I tested Visual Studio 11 and it worked first time.  I then proceeded in installing the rest of my drivers, including my Intel graphics driver.  Once I finished and my screen was at a respectable developing resolution (big enough to fit lots of code on screen), I ran Visual Studio again, but this time it failed with just a white screen.  I knocked my screen resolution down to 1280 x 800 and it worked again.  There isn't much more to say except if you experience this issue, lower your resolution perhaps?!"

Friday, October 07, 2011 6:30 PM
  • It may also be an issue with the Intel graphics drivers (I realize the symptoms for you are in the VS DP). I have issues with inability to install Intel HD Graphics drivers properly on the Win 8 DP x64, resulting in inability to use resolutions higher than 1024 x 768. I have also read reports of other Intel drivers failing on the Win 8 DP.

This all may be coincidence, but I'm hoping Intel will take a look at the situation and provide updates.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 1:34 PM
  •  

What display resolution failed and what was the specific Intel video card model and driver version?

I have used VS successfully on a laptop with the Intel Core i5-2410M 2.30 GHz integrated graphics controller running 1366x768 and on an ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro running 1680x1050.  Both with the vendor's WHQL signed x64 drivers.

Thanks,

Dan

Thursday, October 13, 2011 1:27 AM