none
Expressions Web or something similar for a tablet? RRS feed

• Question

• I do some simple updating of my company's website using Expressions Web 3 and my laptop. Must be simple, as I am not very computer-literate and can still complete the task. Task involves taking a pdf created in MS Word, dragging and dropping into our site using Expressions Web, typing in one line of text, and linking the line of text to the pdf. 

Is it possible to accomplish this task using any version of a tablet? Do tablets support MS Word and Expressions Web? If not, are there other very reliable programs/aps that can accomplish the same thing on a tablet? Will the new MS tablet scheduled for release this autumn support this?

I am interested in losing the laptop and using a tablet as winter updates for my website are common and I spend much of the winter traveling and working in the field. Tired of packing a laptop.

Thank you.
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 4:48 PM

All replies

• We have no way of knowing what will or will not run on the Surface tablet. Presumably, the Surface Pro, which runs Windows 8, should be able to run anything Win7 can run. The ARM-based Surface, running Windows RT, may be more problematic.

In any event, this is a user-to-user forum; MS representatives don't hang out here, and anyone ho does know anything would be constrained by NDA from revealing it. We don't have any advanced knowledge of MS's plans that haven't been announced elsewhere. In short, your guess is as good as ours.  ;-)

As for Android or other tablets, I doubt it. At least, insofar as EW or other MS apps. And this forum is focused on EW, so if there are other Web editors that run on other platforms, we really aren't the folks to ask about them. Try the forums focused on those platforms...

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

• Edited by paladyn Thursday, August 23, 2012 5:08 PM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 5:05 PM
  • Unless the tablet runs a version of Windows or has an emultor that can it would be impossible for those applications to run on the tablet.

As an alternative, I've used RDP on my IPad to remote into my desktop and laptop to do minor fixes when I'm traveling. I believe, but not sure, that the Android tablets may offer simialar applications that would allow you access to your laptop at home.

RDP - http://mochasoft.com/

HTH

Mike

Thursday, August 23, 2012 5:50 PM
  • My primary comptuer is a Windows 7 tablet pc and I've used every version of Expression Web on a tablet since the beta of EW 1. It will not work on the RT Win 8 tablets because it runs a limited version of Win 8 that only supports apps so you will need an Intel or AMD not the ARM processor version to run any version of EW. The ARM version does come with Office according to what I've read.

FWIW, I've never found a decent HTML editor for either an iPad or Android tablet. There are some more or less plain text editors called HTML editors that work okay but do require you to work exclusively in code. So if I've only got the iPad 3 I'll use Logmein to get to my computer. It works better on the 3 with retina display than on the 2 with its lower screen resolution.

So my recommendation is to get a tablet with an intel or amd processor then you can run everything you do on your laptop.  Though you may want a bluetooth keyboard if you are going to use it as your sole system while traveling.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

Thursday, August 23, 2012 6:00 PM