How do I get my local SQL Server database into the SQL Azure database? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm really new at Azure, but want to learn it. I'm going through a tutorial on it. In the tutorial when I get to the point of actually getting my SQL database into Azure it says I'm to choose either Blank database, a sample database or use a backup. I don't want a blank database because I have an existing database on my machine. Same thing for a sample database as that's wrong. So I thought choosing using a backup would work. I backed up my SQL database, but couldn't find a way to get it into the Azure. Only, I couldn't find a way.

So I asked around trying to find a way. I was directed to another MSDN article titled How to Export an On-Premises SQL Server Database to Windows Azure Storage. However, this article talks about putting SQL into a VM in Azure. I'm not trying to do that, I'm trying to use SQL in an Azure SQL Database logical server, not a VM. But will this article on exporting an on-premises SQL Server database to Azure Storage still work?

Or should I abandon all of this stuff of using a my own database and find some way of making a "sample" of own database?

I confess I'm getting a little perturbed by this. The first article I referenced uses the phrase of getting your local database into Azure in a matter of minutes. This is taking me many days and I still don't have my database in Azure.

Rod

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 1:47 AM

Answers

• Hi Rod,  you can use SQL Server Management Studio to migrate your SQL server into Azure.  You can migrate it either to a VM (IaaS infrastructure as a service) or you can migrate it to Azure SQL Database (platform as a service PaaS)

Theres a guide here to run some compatiblity checks to see if your on-premises db is compatible with Azure SQL DB, and it also shows the different methods to migrate https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/documentation/articles/sql-database-cloud-migrate/

Nick | https://brotechcm2012.wordpress.com/

• Edited by Dan Rediske Wednesday, July 20, 2016 4:46 PM Added hyperlink
    • Proposed as answer by Dan Rediske Wednesday, July 20, 2016 4:46 PM
    • Marked as answer by Doctor-Who Friday, July 22, 2016 1:39 AM
    Wednesday, July 20, 2016 4:32 AM