none
Windows HCK Gatherers detects the tests based on type of DUT right... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We know new feature in Windows HCK ie When you connect a device to a Windows HCK environment, the kit searches for features on the device using a mechanism called gatherers.

First I done the one setup then Gatherers detect the x no.of tests based on DUT and ran the tests some tests are passed and failed. And now I want to start fresh ie new project and new machine pool then now detects y No.of tests(Setup is same ..) ..

Same DUT and setup but different projects shows different no.of tests.. Any one faced this type problem in previous guys..

Yesubabu Gude

Friday, May 3, 2013 4:38 AM

Answers

• Now I got clarity on how the Gatherers work:

Earlier versions of the WLK used a wizard in the device console to map jobs to specified certification categories.  In the Windows HCK for Windows 8, users select the device that they want to certify, and the Windows HCK uses a process of feature query and requirement mapping to apply all jobs that match the device. This process works by mapping device data to features, features to requirements, and requirements to tests. When you select a device, the Windows HCK can query the device data and map the feature set, requirement, and tests without user intervention.

In some cases, features that are required for a product type are not being automatically detected on your device.  In this situation, you must manually select the missing feature(s) that correspond to your product type. To manually configure your product type:

1. Find your product type in the Windows HCK Product Type Test Matrix.
    2. Determine the list of features that are required for your product type.
    3. In the Selection tab in HCK Studio, right-click on your selection.  You will see a list of features. The features that have been automatically detected will have a check-box.
    4. Select all missing features that correspond to your product type.

Yesubabu Gude

• Marked as answer by Yesubabu Gude Friday, May 31, 2013 11:41 AM
    Friday, May 31, 2013 11:41 AM

All replies

• There are issues you may see in refreshing device data in HCK which may lead to a different number of tests which we will try to address in future releases.  If you are hitting this issue, the following may work:

1. Install the device on the client and wait several minutes. 

2. Exit and restart HCK Studio, then create  your projects and select your targets.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 2:50 AM
  • Hi Gerogek,

Thanks for suggestion, and I have some more doubts ie

1.How do the Gatherers detect tests based on DUT..?

2.The Gatherers detect the some tests based on my DUT, then all tests are passed now can I go for sign procedure right(At very first time I believe these tests are correct no.of tests) .?

3.Even some tests are undetected then Can I add some tests in HCK Studio..?

4.Is there any wrong in above 2nd and 3rd queries for the sign procedure..?

5.Is there any information like these type of DUT have some no.of tests and another type of DUT have no.of tests...?

Yesubabu Gude

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 7:53 AM
  • 1. The testing concepts section in the HCK Help (accessible from HCK Studio/start menu) goes into some detail on this.

-Data from gatherers describe features for your device under test. 

-Features of your device map to requirements that must be tested for each feature.

-Requirements map to tests

2. Yes.

3. You can but you shouldn't need to unless specified by the requirements of the logo program (again is .  For the vast majority of submissions this is not required.  From HCK Help the Technical Reference => Test Reference topic is your best guide for any manual selection of features you may have to do.

4. Not sure if I answered 2/3.

5. Again, these are based on the features that are detected for your hardware, not by the type/class of device.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Friday, May 10, 2013 2:38 AM
  • Hi Gerogek,

Thanks very much for sharing the valuable information,

One thing I am not get clear ie The Gatherers detect the no.of tests based the DUT right, My hardware have the support of the Power Management(PM) but it didn't shows the tests regarding PM.

Witch is the best either whatever the tests detected by Gatherers to be pass or adding extra features regarding tests  to be pass..? ( In both cases of sign )

Is the Gatherers detect the tests based Hardware or Software implemented features.

Yesubabu Gude

Friday, May 10, 2013 4:20 AM
  • Now I got clarity on how the Gatherers work:

Earlier versions of the WLK used a wizard in the device console to map jobs to specified certification categories.  In the Windows HCK for Windows 8, users select the device that they want to certify, and the Windows HCK uses a process of feature query and requirement mapping to apply all jobs that match the device. This process works by mapping device data to features, features to requirements, and requirements to tests. When you select a device, the Windows HCK can query the device data and map the feature set, requirement, and tests without user intervention.

In some cases, features that are required for a product type are not being automatically detected on your device.  In this situation, you must manually select the missing feature(s) that correspond to your product type. To manually configure your product type:

1. Find your product type in the Windows HCK Product Type Test Matrix.
    2. Determine the list of features that are required for your product type.
    3. In the Selection tab in HCK Studio, right-click on your selection.  You will see a list of features. The features that have been automatically detected will have a check-box.
    4. Select all missing features that correspond to your product type.

Yesubabu Gude

• Marked as answer by Yesubabu Gude Friday, May 31, 2013 11:41 AM
    Friday, May 31, 2013 11:41 AM