Web Deployment Project deploys files that have "Build Action" set to None RRS feed

• Question

• User1745378567 posted
    When using a Web Deployment Project to deploy a Web Application Project, the output includes project files that have "Build Action" set to None. When web applications are deployed using "Publish Web Site" or a Web Setup project, such files are excluded.

This means that the output is polluted with unwanted files such as:
    - technical documentation
    - files with replacements for web.config sections
    etc.

I tried posting this bug to Connect (https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=253772) but they can't help as it's not officially supported.

Is there an unofficial fix or workaround for this bug?

Monday, January 29, 2007 9:34 AM

All replies

• User1745378567 posted

A related problem is that the Web Deployment Project will still attempt to build any ASPX/ASCX files that have been excluded from a Web Application Project.  This will fail, presumably because the codebehind files have not been built by the Web Application Project.

It seem the Web Deployment Projects add-in doesn't work well with Web Application Projects.  I think it needs to be modified to:

- Copy project files (including AS*X files, content files and the bin directory, but excluding files with Build=None) to a temporary directory.
    - Perform the precompilation in the temporary directory
    - Copy the result to the output directory.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 9:09 AM
  • User-83859721 posted

A similar article which may help this is given below

http://undocnet.blogspot.com/2007/11/web-application-project.html

Ashok Thota

Friday, April 17, 2009 2:52 PM
  • User-83859721 posted

How to set Build Action / Where to set is

Select the web page (.aspx page) ==> right click ==> Go to the last menu (which is properties) ==> click on this (i.e. properties) ==> The first property in the list is Build Action ==> set it to None (by selecting the None from the dropdown values).

Thank You

Ashok Thota

Friday, April 17, 2009 2:55 PM