Possible to have all slicer options on the same chart series as individual slicer options? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone

I don't think this is logically possible, but if I have a slicer for a Powerpivot chart that is in the Legend/Series of that chart, is it possible to have both individual values of that slicer appear on the chart as well as a series that represents all the values of the slicer?

So for example, in the below chart, there could be one series each for 2006 and 2007 on the chart and a third series for all years combined at the same time? I would assume this would involve another slicer, but don't know if it is possible.

Paul

Monday, April 28, 2014 6:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Paul,

Are you using the new field Judge/Referee from your new Judge-Dimension table as the legend/series? Using the existing field from your s1Perm1-table could result in the behavior that you described. Have you changed your chart to use the new measure?

Regards,

Julian

Julian Wissel | BI for NAV @ http://en.navbi.com | Blog @ blog.navida.eu

• Marked as answer by Paul-NYS Friday, May 2, 2014 1:56 PM
    Friday, May 2, 2014 8:06 AM

All replies

• Hi Paul,

If I understand you correctly you actually want to see the grand total on your chart as a separate line, right? Unfortunately Pivot Charts do not provide that out of the box. One option would be to manually create a "normal" chart from it as described here but I have not tried that yet.

Another (in my opinion) nice option to solve this is to create an "artificial" all-element in one of your slicers. This could for example be accomplished by using a date table (instead of your month/year-fields from the fact table) that is related to the date-field from your fact-table. You would then add another element to that date-table such as the last line from this linked table:

Year
    All (Average)

Using this I created a new measure based on your existing CumPercent:

=if(HASONEVALUE('Date'[Year]),
      if(values('Date'[Year])="All (Average)",
        calculate([CumPercent],all('Date'[Year])),[CumPercent]),[CumPercent])

If you replace your existing measure with this new one and your StartYear with the new Year-Column from our date-table, an additional all-element will Ssow up on your Pivot Chart:

Would that help?

Regards,

Julian

Monday, April 28, 2014 8:24 PM
  • Hi Julian
    I think that will work. I cannot access my files right now, but will tomorrow morning. Two quick items though, if you are around, where are you creating that Date table? I create my tables in Access and then bring them into Powerpivot and then into Excel.

Also, is there a calculation behind the "All (average)" value or is "all (average)" simply a text value in the Date table?

Paul
    Monday, April 28, 2014 9:30 PM
  • Hi Paul,

It depends where I normally create date tables. I try to avoid linked tables and prefer to create them as early in the data flow as possible (when using SQL-Server e.g. I would use SQL-Views). In your case it could make sense to create it in Access as described here: http://www.wiseowl.co.uk/blog/s337/powerpivot-calendar.htm

All (average) is just a "random" text value in my date table without any calculation behind. All the "magic" happens in that calculated measure.

Regards,

Julian 

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 6:29 AM
  • Hi Julian

I implemented the above approach on a judge name/ID column that is not in the model I sent you because it is confidential. I created a separate judge dimension table with judge ID, name and title columns and added an option for "1 - All Judges" as both an ID value and a name value. I linked this new dimension table to the fact table in Powerpivot using the judge ID field. And I displayed the judge name field from the judge dimension table on the spreadsheet because users would obviously not use an ID field.

Everything works fine except one item: when I select the '1 - All Judges" option from the Judge/Referee slicer, all the judge values are displayed individually and not one aggregated '1 - All Judges' value. Your screenshot above displays it correctly.

There are no errors and everything appears OK (except this)?

Paul

=if(HASONEVALUE('s1JudgeIds'[JudgeName]),
      if(values('s1JudgeIds'[JudgeName])="1 - All Judges",
        calculate([CumPercent],all('s1JudgeIds'[JudgeName])),[CumPercent]),[CumPercent])

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 6:15 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Are you using the new field Judge/Referee from your new Judge-Dimension table as the legend/series? Using the existing field from your s1Perm1-table could result in the behavior that you described. Have you changed your chart to use the new measure?

Regards,

Julian

• Marked as answer by Paul-NYS Friday, May 2, 2014 1:56 PM
    Friday, May 2, 2014 8:06 AM
  • Hi Julian

Using the Judge/Referee column from the fact table and not from the Judge Dimension table was the issue. Thanks a lot!

One question on the formula, why is the reason for checking for the presence of one value in the opening statement?

=if(HASONEVALUE('Date'[Year]),
      if(values('Date'[Year])="All (Average)",
        calculate([CumPercent],all('Date'[Year])),[CumPercent]),[CumPercent])

Paul

Friday, May 2, 2014 1:56 PM
  • Hi Paul,

HASONEVALUE "protects" the values-function in the second line from throwing an error if multiple values would be processed what for example could happen if no slicer value ischosen.

Regards,

Julian

Saturday, May 3, 2014 6:07 PM
  • OK that makes sense and thanks a lot Julian. And Hasonevalue does not seem to have an issue with multiple selections from a slicer.

Paul

Monday, May 5, 2014 7:10 PM