How to connect with ADF to SQL Server on Azure VM? RRS feed

• Question

• Is Self Hosted Integration Runtime only way? Possible to just open port 1433 to Azure Services?

Kenny_I

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 5:14 AM

Answers

• Hi Kenny_I,

Is Self Hosted Integration Runtime only way?

Self-hosted Integration in the option for connecting ADF to SQL Server on Azure VM.

A self-hosted integration runtime can run copy activities between a cloud data store and a data store in a private network, and it can dispatch transform activities against compute resources in an on-premises network or an Azure virtual network. The installation of a self-hosted integration runtime needs on an on-premises machine or a virtual machine (VM) inside a private network.

Possible to just open port 1433 to Azure Services?

Ensure that the firewall rules are enabled properly on the corporate firewall, the Windows firewall on the self-hosted integration runtime machine, and the data store itself. Enabling these rules allows the self-hosted integration runtime to connect to both source and sink successfully.

If your firewall does not allow outbound port 1433, the self-hosted integration runtime can't access the Azure SQL database directly. In this case, you can use a staged copy to Azure SQL Database and Azure SQL Data Warehouse. In this scenario, you would require only HTTPS (port 443) for the data movement.

For more details, refer “Create and configure a self-hosted integration runtime”.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 5:30 AM

All replies

• Hi Kenny_I,

Is Self Hosted Integration Runtime only way?

Self-hosted Integration in the option for connecting ADF to SQL Server on Azure VM.

A self-hosted integration runtime can run copy activities between a cloud data store and a data store in a private network, and it can dispatch transform activities against compute resources in an on-premises network or an Azure virtual network. The installation of a self-hosted integration runtime needs on an on-premises machine or a virtual machine (VM) inside a private network.

Possible to just open port 1433 to Azure Services?

Ensure that the firewall rules are enabled properly on the corporate firewall, the Windows firewall on the self-hosted integration runtime machine, and the data store itself. Enabling these rules allows the self-hosted integration runtime to connect to both source and sink successfully.

If your firewall does not allow outbound port 1433, the self-hosted integration runtime can't access the Azure SQL database directly. In this case, you can use a staged copy to Azure SQL Database and Azure SQL Data Warehouse. In this scenario, you would require only HTTPS (port 443) for the data movement.

For more details, refer “Create and configure a self-hosted integration runtime”.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 5:30 AM
  • Hi Kenny_I,

Just checking in to see if the above answer helped. If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same. And, if you have any further query do let us know.

Friday, May 3, 2019 8:17 AM