none
Existing *.exd file causes problems after registering a new version of a control RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I noticed that when you load an activeX control in Powerpoint 2010, an *.exd file is created in %APPDATA%\Local\Temp\PPT11.0\ which probably contains some information about that control.

So, I came across the following problem. I installed a new version of a custom control for which an *.exd file already existed in the path I mentioned above. Then, when I inserted that control in a presentation, the object properties were wrong ( the properties of the previous version of the control were shown instead of the new ones).

How should I handle this type of files when I am installing a new version of a control?

Friday, March 1, 2013 9:58 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi stkarp,

Let's see whether http://www.lessanvaezi.com/delete-exd-files-to-fix-object-library-invalid-error/ can help you.

Have a good day,

Tom

Monday, March 4, 2013 1:26 AM
  • Hi Tom, thank you very much for your reply. From the post you mentioned it seems safe to delete the .exd file (if you encounter a problem). However, I was wondering, if someone makes an installer for an ActiveX control, would it be safe to make the installer delete the existing .exd for this control (if any) or, in general, what should an installer do if it finds out that there already exists such a file?

• Edited by stkarp Monday, March 4, 2013 8:21 PM
    Monday, March 4, 2013 8:17 PM
  • Hi stkarp,

I'm not too sure about that, however I think we can create a customized action for msi installer to check that.

I hope it can help you.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 1:11 AM
  • Hi Tom,

thanks again for your help.

I will modify my installer to check it.

However, I have a question. In the machine that I had the problem, the .exd file (whose name was the same as the name of the control's dll) was located in the folder: %APPDATA%\Local\Temp\PPT11.0\

In the site you mentioned it's written that the .exd file may be located in the folder C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Application Data\Microsoft\Forms\  on Windows XP or in the folder C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Forms\  on Windows 7.

Should I check for the respective .exd file in all these locations. Are there also other locations where I should check for this file?

Thanks a lot again.

Monday, March 11, 2013 6:10 PM
  • Instead of deleting manually the *.exd files, is there a way to make Powerpoint update automatically the respective *.exd file when a new version of the control is installed?

Thursday, March 21, 2013 9:55 AM