Email alert problem in WSS3.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am new to wss as well as spd 2007 and also not a programmer. I am facing the following  problems while creating workflows.

1.  When i create a workflow to send an email alert with certain fileds, wss is sending ???? in the fileds prosition.

picture 1: work flow in spd

Picture 2: result in e mail

regards

ravi 

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Saturday, January 7, 2012 5:28 AM Come on it's a workflow problem so it goes to the workflow forum surely (From:SharePoint - Development and Programming (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 5:04 AM

Answers

• Hi Ravi

I did some test, I can get “??????” when the field(single text field) is null. So please check if you have some empty fields in list items which were added to email body. You can also add some conditions in your workflow to judge if the field is null. If it’s null, please assign it a blank space as value by using update list item activity. This will avoid “?????”.

And you can refer to the following article to see if you have done something improper when adding lookup to email body.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-designer-help/send-e-mail-in-a-workflow-HA010239042.aspx

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Pengyu Zhao

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Sunday, January 15, 2012 9:49 AM
    Monday, January 9, 2012 3:26 AM
  • Hi Ravi,

What is type of the field that returned question mark?

You can perform a test that create a new item which leaving fields null, then start a workflow instance on this item. Now you can check if you get “?????” in the email. If this is true, you should prevent items’ fields to be null by the way I mentioned in my last reply.

If this not works, you can show us how did you define lookup in email body.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Pengyu Zhao

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 6:38 AM

All replies

• Hi Ravi

I did some test, I can get “??????” when the field(single text field) is null. So please check if you have some empty fields in list items which were added to email body. You can also add some conditions in your workflow to judge if the field is null. If it’s null, please assign it a blank space as value by using update list item activity. This will avoid “?????”.

And you can refer to the following article to see if you have done something improper when adding lookup to email body.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-designer-help/send-e-mail-in-a-workflow-HA010239042.aspx

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Pengyu Zhao

Monday, January 9, 2012 3:26 AM
  • Dear zhao

Thanks for reply.

The workflow is working some times i.e., it is returning entered values some times and some times it is returning nulls. as shwo in my pictures the document 53330276 consists all the values but it returned null values. Pls help.

regards

ravi

Monday, January 9, 2012 3:03 PM
  • Hi Ravi,

What is type of the field that returned question mark?

You can perform a test that create a new item which leaving fields null, then start a workflow instance on this item. Now you can check if you get “?????” in the email. If this is true, you should prevent items’ fields to be null by the way I mentioned in my last reply.

If this not works, you can show us how did you define lookup in email body.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Pengyu Zhao

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 6:38 AM