none
LitDev-Extension (LDSpeech) RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently playing around to find out what I can do with LitDev-Extension, now LDSpeech makes me nosy and I'm trying out because theres no example code. I'm curios about because I thought

LDSpeech.Speak("Hello this is small basic") 

should make the computer say this like good old SAM did. But only I receive an Error-Message:

Typeinitializer for LitDev.LDSpeech has caused an exception

at LitDev.Speech.Speak(Primitive text")

at SmallBasicProgram._Main()
    How can I get it talk? Does anyone know?

it's not a bug- it's a feature

Saturday, October 13, 2012 11:26 AM

Answers

• Yes, it works like you say (certainly for me - and I believe others).  It is the SmallBaisc compiler that copies all required dlls (SmallBasicLibrary.dll + extensions) to the same directory as the exe is created (nowhere else).  If you deleted all the LitDev.dlls, you then replaced the non-3D one with the main one only in the lib folder - unfortunately the site to get this dll http://litdev.hostoi.com/ is down currently, if you don't already have it.  I put a copy on my skydrive.

The speech does use a standard .Net assembly which it is possible you don't have, but I think this is unlikely.

• Edited by litdevModerator Saturday, October 13, 2012 2:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rene_Miner Saturday, October 13, 2012 5:03 PM
    Saturday, October 13, 2012 2:43 PM

All replies

• The Typeinitialiser error looks like you are using the faulty 32 bit version of LitDev.dll that came with the 3D stuff.  Or you still have this dll hanging around either in the lib folder or the folder where the file is being compiled to (%temp% or the folder wher the sb is saved).
    Saturday, October 13, 2012 1:50 PM
  • nope, sorry. I searched all of my harddrive for litdev.dll NOW and deleted all them with 3.368 kB len

I started Small Basic thereafter, made sure there is 540 kB-dll on the right place,

I tried this one line code (see above) again and get the same result.

Btw. Is it really that stupid? does it copy all .dll-files from the "lib"-folder to each and every folder where I save some sb-program? Isn't that an enormous waste of hard disk space? Is it not enough to have it in "lib"-folder? And in cases like this, where a .dll-file  replaces another one, then cannot be used and it needs to be searched like an evil virus to get rid of it. How to keep overview there?

But is it supposed to work like I thought? Speak("Hello") should simply say this?

• Edited by Rene_Miner Saturday, October 13, 2012 2:25 PM
    Saturday, October 13, 2012 2:17 PM
  • Yes, it works like you say (certainly for me - and I believe others).  It is the SmallBaisc compiler that copies all required dlls (SmallBasicLibrary.dll + extensions) to the same directory as the exe is created (nowhere else).  If you deleted all the LitDev.dlls, you then replaced the non-3D one with the main one only in the lib folder - unfortunately the site to get this dll http://litdev.hostoi.com/ is down currently, if you don't already have it.  I put a copy on my skydrive.

The speech does use a standard .Net assembly which it is possible you don't have, but I think this is unlikely.

• Edited by litdevModerator Saturday, October 13, 2012 2:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rene_Miner Saturday, October 13, 2012 5:03 PM
    Saturday, October 13, 2012 2:43 PM
  • No problem, I've kept the downloaded zip from the LitDev1.0 on my drive- I would never delete it, imagine internet doesn't work...

I'm trying to port a game that I wrote a few months ago in another basic language (you'll find a link to download it in that yesterday closed Data-Extension:Network-thread - I won't post it here again)

It would not work without your extension. The only thing I miss is some storing of sounds in a soundlist, alike imagelist so the sounds can be called by their names from memory instead of loading them over and over again. A tile that slides along the ground and always repeats the sound makes due loading always the same file just to play it once a lot of unnecessary hard-drive-action. Additional the sound-timing is real bad then.

Edit: I want to create transparent *.png-images from my *.tga's, but the yesterday by NaochanOn recommended IrfanView messes up the colors when I do this. Is there some tool that can create transparent images, so LDShapes.AddAnimatedImage() will accept them? Are there other picture-formats supported?

Edit2: Thanks to both of you (below) I'll try GIMP first. If I'm too stupid for that I'm gonna try the other one

Edit3: No, GIMP does not give better results. It messes up color too...

• Edited by Rene_Miner Saturday, October 13, 2012 4:59 PM
    Saturday, October 13, 2012 3:10 PM
  • You could try GNU Image Manipulator Program (GIMP)

It has a lot of supported image types.

I am a 10 year old that loves math, games, and computers. "Everyone is potentially great, you just have to turn it into kinetic greatness."

Saturday, October 13, 2012 4:15 PM
  • GIMP is the most powerful of its kind amongst free/open-source software.

If, by chance, you find it too complicated, you can also try Paint.NET. I think maybe it can get the job done as well!

Click on "Propose As Answer" if some post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if some post has been useful to you! (^_^)

Saturday, October 13, 2012 4:31 PM
    Answerer
  • It is the SmallBasic compiler that copies all required dlls (SmallBasicLibrary.dll + extensions) to the same directory as the exe is created (nowhere else).

I guess that's why I don't like to have extensions "active" all the time.

In case I'd need them, I put them in /lib/ folder, and remove them when I'm done.

I just wish when a program would use extensions, people would be kind to tell which ones and possibly where to download them. Sigh!

Click on "Propose As Answer" if some post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if some post has been useful to you! (^_^)

Saturday, October 13, 2012 4:39 PM
    Answerer
  • I just wish when a program would use extensions, people would be kind to tell which ones and possibly where to download them. Sigh!
    That should be pinned somewhere on the front-page of this forum!

Saturday, October 13, 2012 5:43 PM
  • The whole LDSpeech function doesn't work for me... Can you fix that or is it my fault? Sorry for my english, i'm a 14 year old programmer from the netherlands and i like your extensions for small basic. And please describe in simple english how to fix it...

EDIT: It would also be great if there are multiple languages for the speak and recognition, for example english, french, german, dutch etc

• Edited by Jampottie Monday, January 30, 2017 3:12 PM
    Sunday, January 29, 2017 6:44 PM