How to get application list

Question

• Hi all,

Is there any API available for getting list of installed apps for Windows Store apps?

Currently we're using InstallationManager.FindPackagesForCurrentPublisher(), but this api is unavaliable for Windows Store apps. Even if we want to use Windows.Management.Deployment namespace (PackageManager class), there is warning text saying we cannot use Deployment namespace in Windows store apps.

Is there any other alternative?

Thank You,

Best Regards,

Dejan

Monday, September 29, 2014 6:08 PM

Answers

• There is no way to query other apps from a Windows Store app. If you want to link to your own app you can launch a ms-windows-store: URI as documented at Linking to your app .

From a desktop app you can use the PackageManager API you mention.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Dejan Tomazic Tuesday, September 30, 2014 10:11 AM
    Monday, September 29, 2014 6:19 PM
    Owner

All replies

• There is no way to query other apps from a Windows Store app. If you want to link to your own app you can launch a ms-windows-store: URI as documented at Linking to your app .

From a desktop app you can use the PackageManager API you mention.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Dejan Tomazic Tuesday, September 30, 2014 10:11 AM
    Monday, September 29, 2014 6:19 PM
    Owner
  • Thank you for your answer Rob.

1.) I just found response from an old thread on forum (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/c8b704ff-6df2-4f8b-ba12-f7e66709fad4/how-to-find-installed-apps-in-windows-8-using-cnet?forum=winappswithcsharp). Sorry, but this thread did not appear before I posted this question. I guess nothing changed on this area from 8.0 to 8.1 version. We're still unable to use PackageManager class.

2.) Yes, I'm familiar with application linking, but AFAIK you cannot just "ping" if application exists without opening it.

Final result I want to achieve is a list of applications from current publisher

Thank you,

Best Regards,

Dejan

Monday, September 29, 2014 6:28 PM
  • 2.) Yes, I'm familiar with application linking, but AFAIK you cannot just "ping" if application exists without opening it.

Correct. You can open it, but you can't query it.
    Final result I want to achieve is a list of applications from current publisher

This is not possible on the client. There is no way for Windows Store apps to query which other apps are installed on the system. You could track which of your apps the user has used on your own server, but I don't think you'll be able to tie them all back to the same system without the user's aid.
    Monday, September 29, 2014 7:20 PM
    Owner
  • OK, Rob,

Thank you for now.

I will mark your previous response as an answer to this thread.

Best Regards,

Dejan

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 10:10 AM