Host instance not restarting after SQL connection is resumed RRS feed

• Question

• hI,

I have applied the biztalk CU3 update for the host instance not coming up after SQL connection is lost.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2587237
    I had to apply CU3 because of problems that i faced with CU2 updates.

After applying the CU3 update hotfix, I tested in a scenario where the Biztalk server is in a different physical server from the SQL db server which is on different physical server. I stopped the SQL Server service in the SQL db server and it stopped the biztalk host instances. once i started back the SQL Server service and the SQL agent in the SQL box, it automatically restarted the host instances.

I tested in another scenario where the SQL DB is installed on the same box as the Biztalk Server. When i stopped the SQL Server service, it stopped the biztalk host instances. When i started the SQL service and the SQL agent back on, even after applying the CU3 hotfix the host instances does not start by itself.

The host isntances starts automatically only when the SQL and Biztalk are in seperate physical servers.

Is this a known problem with this CU updates?

Thanks

Thursday, January 12, 2012 5:11 PM

Answers

• In Services, the Recovery tab of the BizTalk host instance has the following default values:

First failure: Restart the Service
    Second failure: Restart the Service
    Subsequent failures: Restart the Service
    Reset fail counter after: 1 days
    Restart service after: 1 minute

The 2587237 fix in CU3 applies only when the SQL service is killed. If SQL is killed, the BizTalk host instance will restart after 1 minute, based on the default value in the Recovery tab. If you stop the SQL service, this fix does not apply and the BizTalk host instance will not restart.

To confirm, I did the following:

1. Installed CU3 on a BizTalk 2010 server with local databases.
    2. Opened Services and confirmed the BizTalk host instance and SQL Server were set to Automatic and were started.
    3. In Task Manager, right-click the sqlservr.exe process and click End Process.
    4. Refreshed Services. The BizTalk host instance was stopped and SQL Server automatically restarted.
    5. Kept Refreshing and after 1 minute, the BizTalk host instance was started again.

I hope this helps!
    Mandi Ohlinger [MSFT]

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 9:45 PM

All replies

• I have no CUs on a set of servers and I see this, but it tends to be in specific environments.  I believe it may have to do with AD authentication or service startup order.  You may need to mark the services as delayed start. 

Kind Regards,

-Dan

If this answers your question, please Mark as Answer
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 5:23 PM
  • Thank you Dan. Yes. All the biztalk services services are already in delayed start. I had the problem earlier when i restarted the biztalk server box, the host intances would not start.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942284

So i made them delayed start and it works when i reboot the biztalk server. Just in this case where the SQL and App are in the same box, and when SQL serverice is brought down and up it does not restart.

Can u pls point me what is the authentication setup that i need to check ?

Thanks

Thursday, January 12, 2012 5:54 PM
  • Unfortunately I've never figured out the root cause myself :( But are the BizTalk services dependent upon the SQL Service?

-Dan

Thursday, January 12, 2012 6:06 PM
  • Yes, stopping the SQL service disconnects the SQL server(where the Biztalk databases are resides) from the Biztalk server. So all the biztalk host intances(which are biztalk services) gets acutally stopped.

Thursday, January 12, 2012 6:15 PM
  • I mean in the Service Control Manager are the BizTalk Host Instance services dependent on the SQL and SSO services?  Their dependencies should be listed in a tab there. 

-Dan

Thursday, January 12, 2012 6:36 PM
  • Yes. I checked the dependencies tab in the BiztalkServerApplication host instance and it says that Enterprise Single Sign-On Service and SQL Server service is depenedent.
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 7:24 PM
  • In Services, the Recovery tab of the BizTalk host instance has the following default values:

First failure: Restart the Service
    Second failure: Restart the Service
    Subsequent failures: Restart the Service
    Reset fail counter after: 1 days
    Restart service after: 1 minute

The 2587237 fix in CU3 applies only when the SQL service is killed. If SQL is killed, the BizTalk host instance will restart after 1 minute, based on the default value in the Recovery tab. If you stop the SQL service, this fix does not apply and the BizTalk host instance will not restart.

To confirm, I did the following:

1. Installed CU3 on a BizTalk 2010 server with local databases.
    2. Opened Services and confirmed the BizTalk host instance and SQL Server were set to Automatic and were started.
    3. In Task Manager, right-click the sqlservr.exe process and click End Process.
    4. Refreshed Services. The BizTalk host instance was stopped and SQL Server automatically restarted.
    5. Kept Refreshing and after 1 minute, the BizTalk host instance was started again.

I hope this helps!
    Mandi Ohlinger [MSFT]

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 9:45 PM
  • I saw this behavior several times. In couple times there was just very long delay before services started. Is it possible to wait, say, 1 hour, to make sure this is [not] the case.
    Leonid Ganeline [BizTalk MVP] BizTalk and 0MQ (ZeroMQ)
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 4:17 AM