"Unable to connect to" in debug attach dialog RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to implement the attach side of the debug engine but keep getting:

Unable to connect to '192.168.178.18:5555'.  

Where 192.168.178.18:5555 is the qualifier/port name. I've implemented 

PortSupplier: IDebugPortSupplier2, IDebugPortSupplierDescription2, enum returns a list of 

DebugPort: IDebugPort2, IDebugPortEx2, IDebugPortNotify2, IConnectionPointContainer; enumProcesses returns a list of

DebugProcess: IDebugProcess2, IDebugProcessEx2

DebugProgram: IDebugProgram2

if i implement IDebugPRocess2.EnumPrograms it ends up calling my debugprogram, where I return the debug engine guid. But then I get the above message. If i don'tt return any programs, I do get a proper list of processes but can't attach.

WHat could cause the cannot connect error?

Carlo Kok

Wednesday, June 24, 2015 4:06 PM

Answers

• This ended up being because BaseName was null by accident so consider this solved. There's no debug logging option is there, so I can see why things like this happen?

Carlo Kok

• Marked as answer by Carlo Kok Wednesday, July 1, 2015 8:25 PM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2015 6:29 AM

All replies

• Hi Carlo,

Could you please post the code snippet throwing this error? It would be better to post more detailed information, e.g. the complete error message and stacktrace.

I haven't developed a debug engine ever, but according to this error message, I think it could be the problem with the networking, permission, or the firewall. Especially the firewall, you may try to add inbound/outbound rules in the firewall to let the network traffic pass this port.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Edited by Caillen Thursday, June 25, 2015 7:25 AM
    Thursday, June 25, 2015 7:22 AM
  • Hi,

there's a lot of code involved to show this (though the structure is explained above). Nor is there a usable callstack (it happens in VSDebugger.dll), if needed I can try & extract the code to show this but it's quite massive and a pain to install.

That said it sohuldn't have anything to do with actual networking, it's my debug engines job to do the connecting to a what's shown in the qualifier, thats why I'm asking what could show this error in the (unmanaged) debugger code, i think I'm either missing an interface or returning a wrong value somewhere.

If needed I can make a testcases out of it, but if someone knows where this error comes from or can me give a hint on the interfaces that would be appreciated.

Carlo Kok

• Edited by Carlo Kok Thursday, June 25, 2015 10:58 AM
    Thursday, June 25, 2015 7:27 AM
  • Yes, it's better to make a sample project for us, so that we can identify the problem.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, June 26, 2015 2:45 AM
  • This ended up being because BaseName was null by accident so consider this solved. There's no debug logging option is there, so I can see why things like this happen?

Carlo Kok

• Marked as answer by Carlo Kok Wednesday, July 1, 2015 8:25 PM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2015 6:29 AM