none
Unable to add configuration transformation

Question

• Hi,

I am trying to add the the new configuration transformation, but when I right click on the project, I don't see the "Add Config Transform" option available. And when I went into the Configuration Manager from Build menu on the top of VS2015, I selected the Project on the left side window, and then when I click on the dropdown list from the Configuration Column, I only see the "Debug" option showed up, there is no other options available in the dropdown. I have about 9 projects in the solution, and there are two projects acting this way as the "Debug" is the only option available. Is there any limitations for adding the new configuration transformations to the project, what is the reason causing this happened and how do I create the config transformation properly for the project?

The solution is using VB.net in version 4.0, and tool I am using is VS2015.

Thanks,

Tim

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 6:33 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Firstly you could left-click Debug---Configuration Manager to add new configuration, please refer to the screenshot below.

Best Regards,

Cherry Bu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 5:14 AM
  • I already have multiple configurations, and even I add another one, the list still shows only debug with other options.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 2:32 PM
  • To add a custom configuration you need to get your hands dirty. For an example see the following which is in an older version of Visual Studio but the steps are still the same.

https://automatetheplanet.com/specify-assembly-references-based-build-configuration-visual-studio/

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Thursday, April 27, 2017 10:35 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the response, I tried to follow the steps described from the site, but when I tried to add the new configuration described in the step 3, and once I clicked "OK" button in order to create the new configuration, I only heard a beep sound and then nothing happened. There is no configuration definition is created. I have the administrator permission on the pc and also I run VS as administrator.

Please help,

Tim

Friday, April 28, 2017 4:06 PM
  • Hello,

Would someone please help me out here? As I am not able to create a new build configuration?

Thanks,

Tim 

Monday, May 01, 2017 3:50 PM
  • I finally added a new build configuration by unchecking the "Create new project configurations" option prior to click the "OK" button.

But now I am facing another problem as I tried to follow the steps provided in the link below, when I select the project and right click on it, I don't see the option as "Unload Project", is there a way to work around this? I am using VS2015.

Thanks,

Tim

Monday, May 01, 2017 4:08 PM
  • Hi,

After further investigation, this project was an old project and used to be to have Web Deploy project to build and deploy, but now after I moved the project to VS2015, it no longer supports web deploy project, so I deleted the WB project, and try to have a work around so I can build and deploy the project with some Configuration Transformations added to the project. I believe the existing project is a type of Web Site as it does not even have .vbproj file in the project.

I just want to provide some details and need help on this.

Thanks,

Tim

Monday, May 01, 2017 6:12 PM
  • This is not answered and I still waiting for an answer, as the question is how do I replace the Web Deploy project for WebSite project that was removed from VS2015 due to VS2015 no longer supports .wbproj file?

Tim

Monday, May 01, 2017 7:01 PM
  • This is not answered and I still waiting for an answer, as the question is how do I replace the Web Deploy project for WebSite project that was removed from VS2015 due to VS2015 no longer supports .wbproj file?

Tim

Tim,

Maybe, but the chance is extremely low that you get that answer in this forum. As you can see it is for VB and many active here think that VB is just the same as was VB6 (only windows forms, console, services and IIS Class although that is withdrawn already in its lifetime). 

Try one of the Microsoft ASP.Net forums, 

http://forums.asp.net

And please mark your own answer then as answer because it otherwise stays only as it is called "Open".

Success
    Cor

Monday, May 01, 2017 7:14 PM
  • That makes sense, web projects have multiple configuration files e.g. staging, testing, production, localhost etc. but never seen this in a windows form project (which of course would be contained in a solution).

We use then in ASP.NET/Web API 2 but not windows forms and they are in web.config where opening the node in solution explorer exposes the other transformations.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Monday, May 01, 2017 10:37 PM