none
REF*D9* issue in BizTalk 2009 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, we have run into an issue with files that do not have the REF*D9* segment. If a file is dropped without this segment, it fails and we get an Xpath error. Not all of our files will have this segment and we need to know how to ignore it if it is not present. We have tried this with files that have the Clearing House segment and they work fine.
    Thanks, Brad

Monday, March 15, 2010 5:49 PM

Answers

• In the map, you need to make sure that there is something to put in the REF02 before creating it, I normally use a string size functiod coming from the source, and then a greater than funciod connected to the string size, and I set the greater than to 0 and then connect it to the REF segment, not the elements:
    What this does is say: if the input size is greater than 0, create the REF segment, if it is 0 don't even create the REF segment.

Eric Stott [http://blog.biztalk-info.com] - Mark as Answer if this reply does.
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 4:05 PM

All replies

• Brad,

There is not enough information here to allow us to help you.  By default, the REF segment is optional in most instances in X12 messages.  I infer that since your file fails if you do not have the REF*D9 segment that you have a map which requires that segment, you have a modified schema, or you are using a specific X12 vertical that is set up to require that specific segment.

Can you tell us more?  What version of the standard and which transaction?  Where is this error occurring, in the EDI pipeline or in the map?

Thanks,

Jim -- Pro Mapping in BizTalk 2009, Apress Books, March 23, 2009
    Monday, March 15, 2010 6:24 PM
  • We believe that the issue is in the schema. On the schema properties it is set to “min occurs” 0. We have made a new schema and changed that property to 1 but with no success. We also have the node set to "Empty" on the destination.

Basically if there is data in the source node, it maps it. If it is blank then the field does not appear of the destination and an error occurs.

We are using 4010 schemas and these are 837 transactions.
    Thanks,
    Brad 

Monday, March 15, 2010 7:31 PM
  • In the map, you need to make sure that there is something to put in the REF02 before creating it, I normally use a string size functiod coming from the source, and then a greater than funciod connected to the string size, and I set the greater than to 0 and then connect it to the REF segment, not the elements:
    What this does is say: if the input size is greater than 0, create the REF segment, if it is 0 don't even create the REF segment.

Eric Stott [http://blog.biztalk-info.com] - Mark as Answer if this reply does.
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 4:05 PM

I am not quite familiar with functiod. Why should I put something in the REF02 before creating it? Would you please express it more clearly? Thank you very much.
    Friday, June 4, 2010 12:33 PM
  • You basically have to make sure that the destination is created before you can insert data. Otherwise biztalk does not knwo where to put the data. Set the destination to empty and that may solve the problem.
    Please Indicate "Mark as Answer" if this Post has Answered the Question
    Friday, June 4, 2010 1:59 PM