none
Front end Test version RRS feed

• Question

• I have a front end, says, Student.mdb and a back end, StudentData.mdb.  The data entry users use Student.mdb to enter data daily, so StudentData.mdb get new data everyday.

Now, a user requests to add new functionalities (new buttons, forms, etc.) into the Student.mdb. I have created a StudentTest.mdb front end and work on this test version. 

My question is, can I just simply backup the Student.mdb and store it somewhere, and make StudentTest.mdb to be Student.mdb to have all new changes i have made to become available to my users? Is there any risk for doing that?

Of course, I will have to manually enter new data into corresponding tables in StudentData.mdb associated with new buttons, and forms and  re-link the new Student.mdb to the StudentData.mdb. Is this practice a normal way to do?

Thank you!   

Thursday, January 24, 2019 10:20 PM

Answers

• My question is, can I just simply backup the Student.mdb and store it somewhere, and make StudentTest.mdb to be Student.mdb to have all new changes i have made to become available to my users? Is there any risk for doing that?

Hi ttim,

This is the way I work: on one computer I have a Dev-system with Student.mdb and Student_Data.mdb. On a different computer I have the Prod-system with Student.mdb and Student_data.mdb.

Sometimes I need to do some very specific test on actual data. In that case I replace the Dev Student_data.mdb with a fresh copy of the Prod Student_data.mdb.

After development and testing on Dev Student.mdb I finally can replace the Prod Student.mdb with a compiled version of the Dev/Test Student.mdb.

This works without problems when there are no changes in the Data Definition of the tables, for instance a new or deleted field, new table, changed key etc.

When there ARE changes in the Data Definition, then you have to synchronize the Data Definitions in Dev Student_data.mdb or Prod Student_data.mdb depending on the version of the used Student.mdb.

Imb.

• Marked as answer by ttim Friday, January 25, 2019 4:28 PM
    Thursday, January 24, 2019 11:07 PM
  • Once you are satisfied that your amended front end is operating correctly you would simply replace each user's copy of the front end with a renamed copy of the amended version, linked to the operational back end.  If your amendments have involved updates to the data in a test back end which you need to retain in the operational database, then those updates will need to be repeated in the operational back end, provided that they do not conflict with any updates by users during your development of the new front end.  If these are relatively few they can be done manually, or you might be able to temporarily link the test back end to the operational back end, in addition to its current links to the test back end (each duplicate link's name will be given a suffix) and execute the appropriate SQL statements in the former to update the data in the latter.  This will not affect the users continued use of the operational back end, and would best be done before distributing copies of the amended front end to users.

Ken Sheridan, Stafford, England

Thursday, January 24, 2019 11:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It depends, do each user have their own copy of the Student.mdb on their individual machines? If not, they should, which means you'll have to implement some sort of a process (could be automated) to distribute the new Student.mdb file to everyone.

Thursday, January 24, 2019 11:00 PM
  • My question is, can I just simply backup the Student.mdb and store it somewhere, and make StudentTest.mdb to be Student.mdb to have all new changes i have made to become available to my users? Is there any risk for doing that?

Hi ttim,

This is the way I work: on one computer I have a Dev-system with Student.mdb and Student_Data.mdb. On a different computer I have the Prod-system with Student.mdb and Student_data.mdb.

Sometimes I need to do some very specific test on actual data. In that case I replace the Dev Student_data.mdb with a fresh copy of the Prod Student_data.mdb.

After development and testing on Dev Student.mdb I finally can replace the Prod Student.mdb with a compiled version of the Dev/Test Student.mdb.

This works without problems when there are no changes in the Data Definition of the tables, for instance a new or deleted field, new table, changed key etc.

When there ARE changes in the Data Definition, then you have to synchronize the Data Definitions in Dev Student_data.mdb or Prod Student_data.mdb depending on the version of the used Student.mdb.

Imb.

Thursday, January 24, 2019 11:07 PM
  • Once you are satisfied that your amended front end is operating correctly you would simply replace each user's copy of the front end with a renamed copy of the amended version, linked to the operational back end.  If your amendments have involved updates to the data in a test back end which you need to retain in the operational database, then those updates will need to be repeated in the operational back end, provided that they do not conflict with any updates by users during your development of the new front end.  If these are relatively few they can be done manually, or you might be able to temporarily link the test back end to the operational back end, in addition to its current links to the test back end (each duplicate link's name will be given a suffix) and execute the appropriate SQL statements in the former to update the data in the latter.  This will not affect the users continued use of the operational back end, and would best be done before distributing copies of the amended front end to users.

Ken Sheridan, Stafford, England

Thursday, January 24, 2019 11:12 PM
  • Thank you, .theDBguy for response. Yes, each user has their own copy of the Student.mdb on their machines. The updated Student.mdb version will be on the network drive and they will copy this updated version to their machines. My concern is the updated version (the Test version converted to the live version) are OK for them to use or I will miss something...
    Thursday, January 24, 2019 11:13 PM
  • Thank you, .theDBguy for response. Yes, each user has their own copy of the Student.mdb on their machines. The updated Student.mdb version will be on the network drive and they will copy this updated version to their machines. My concern is the updated version (the Test version converted to the live version) are OK for them to use or I will miss something...

As long as you've tested the version you're giving them, then it shouldn't matter where it came from or how you made it.
    Friday, January 25, 2019 3:45 PM