none
File Association Icons Missing in Visual Studio 2015

Question

• In earlier versions of Visual Studio (e.g. 2012), if a file was added to a solution it would appear in the Solution Explorer with its associated "file extension icon". Visual Studio 2015 only seems to recognize a subset of file extensions, the rest it displays with the generic "document" icon. Is there a way to register file extensions with Visual Studio 2015 so they appear in the Solution Explorer with appropriate icons?
    Thursday, April 7, 2016 7:58 AM

Answers

• VS2015 has a list of icons it uses.

You can get that list here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35825

If the extension is not available in these icons, then I guess defining an icon for that extension in the system "may" bring it to VS2015... haven't tested that but you could report it if it does...

What particular extension is causing you the "generic document icon" behavior?

There is a post on where the icons reside here: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/3f0d47a7-7c12-4c45-b319-c1258e0ad5fd/using-the-microsoft-help-icon-in-a-customised-tab-integrated-in-the-help-menu?forum=visualstudiogeneral
    Thursday, April 7, 2016 8:36 AM
  • Thanks for Cyrille Précetti's help.

Hi Nev F,

According to your description, if you add a file in your project, the file doesn't have association icon in Visual Studio 2015 Solution Explorer, is it right?

I create a sample project and then add a file with .e1 extension in Visual Studio 2015, it shows with a generic document icon as you mentioned. But if I add the same file to Visual Studio 2012 solution, I get the same result.

Then I try add a .csv file in both version of Visual Studio solution, this time both of them display with association icon.

Do these two version of Visual Studio installed on the same machine and there has a program can open the .e1 file? Please add a .csv file to check whether it also has this issue.

If the .csv file also has the same problem, please try with following steps to troubleshoot your problem.

1. Install the latest Update for your Visual Studio to check whether this problem can be fixed.
    2. Run your Visual Studio 2015 in safe mode to prevents all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable execution.
    3. Reset/Repair your Visual Studio 2015.

If misunderstanding, please provide some screenshot to help us understanding your problem.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, April 8, 2016 5:51 AM

All replies

• VS2015 has a list of icons it uses.

You can get that list here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35825

If the extension is not available in these icons, then I guess defining an icon for that extension in the system "may" bring it to VS2015... haven't tested that but you could report it if it does...

What particular extension is causing you the "generic document icon" behavior?

There is a post on where the icons reside here: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/3f0d47a7-7c12-4c45-b319-c1258e0ad5fd/using-the-microsoft-help-icon-in-a-customised-tab-integrated-in-the-help-menu?forum=visualstudiogeneral
    Thursday, April 7, 2016 8:36 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. I have an application using a custom file extension (say.e1) which has a Windows file association to my custom app. In File Explorer it displays with the icon associated with the app. Visual Studio 2012 honours the file association and displays the application icon in Solution Explorer when I add such an item into a project. Visual Studio 2015 doesn't honour the file association and displays a generic "document" icon (rectangular box with top-right corner folded over). Even using the "Open with..." menu option, selecting the custom application and setting it as the default doesn't alter the behaviour.
    Thursday, April 7, 2016 9:29 PM
  • Thanks for Cyrille Précetti's help.

Hi Nev F,

According to your description, if you add a file in your project, the file doesn't have association icon in Visual Studio 2015 Solution Explorer, is it right?

I create a sample project and then add a file with .e1 extension in Visual Studio 2015, it shows with a generic document icon as you mentioned. But if I add the same file to Visual Studio 2012 solution, I get the same result.

Then I try add a .csv file in both version of Visual Studio solution, this time both of them display with association icon.

Do these two version of Visual Studio installed on the same machine and there has a program can open the .e1 file? Please add a .csv file to check whether it also has this issue.

If the .csv file also has the same problem, please try with following steps to troubleshoot your problem.

1. Install the latest Update for your Visual Studio to check whether this problem can be fixed.
    2. Run your Visual Studio 2015 in safe mode to prevents all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable execution.
    3. Reset/Repair your Visual Studio 2015.

If misunderstanding, please provide some screenshot to help us understanding your problem.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, April 8, 2016 5:51 AM