Creating Aliases RRS feed

• Question

• Hey everyone,

Please excuse my ignorance on SQL as I am by no means an expert.  I manage a software which references a SQL database and the question came up of displaying friendlier names within a column.  I was looking into aliases but am not entirely sure what I am looking at.  The customer utilizes a Sharepoint front end to make changes to a back end SQL database and as opposed to keeping track of 30+ numbers they would like to use the team lead name.

The right hand side of the image is the Sharepoint site where users access and make needed changes.  The SQL DB on the left is what is updated and used by the other system.  What I am needing is for example instead of the users identifying number 20 in Spahepoint to use a name "John" but still have "John" equate to 20.  

I'm sure there is a better way to explain this and apologies for the unnecessary confusion my explanation has caused.  Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 6:31 PM

Answers

• Hi dachadster13,

How do you pull the value of  “Queue Group English” column to SharePoint site?

If you write a SQL query and utilize the query result in the SharePoint site. You can make some changes to the query and specify alias for the value of  “Queue Group English” column. And I recommend you post the question in the Transact-SQL forum to get suggestions about how to writing the query.

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Lydia Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, June 19, 2015 7:28 AM

All replies

• Haven't understood your question completely. 

Do you mean that in your SharePoint site you can see columns like Name : Queue Group English and you want to understand how they are mapped? Because you can't see Name column in table.

Glad to help! Please remember to accept the answer if you found it helpful. It will be useful for future readers having same issue.

My Profile on Microsoft ASP.NET

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 6:49 PM
  • Sorry for the confusion.  What I mean is that from the Sharepoint  site they want to use the name of John and on the back end John is referencing 20, which is currently defined on Sharepoint.  If the user replaces the value of 20 with another value, that SQL field is updated which will break the correlation from the software which references it. Hope this helps.     
    Wednesday, June 17, 2015 5:03 PM
  • Hi dachadster13,

How do you pull the value of  “Queue Group English” column to SharePoint site?

If you write a SQL query and utilize the query result in the SharePoint site. You can make some changes to the query and specify alias for the value of  “Queue Group English” column. And I recommend you post the question in the Transact-SQL forum to get suggestions about how to writing the query.

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Lydia Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, June 19, 2015 7:28 AM