Filter by another table using join in Excel Add-on RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Have anyone of you figured out how to filter results in Excel by joining with another table?

Is there possibility to modify .msdqx file for joining?

It would be very unpleasant to populate company level tables with group level data just to use those fields as a filter.

Or if you guys have given up on this possibility, what has been your workaround? Opening whole table and filtering rows afterwards using external views? Something else?

Thanks in advance,

PA

Monday, April 11, 2016 10:17 AM

Answers

• Hi

You probably can do this if you create a derived hierarchy between two entities. If you need to join two entities, that usually means you can define a hierarchy between them. You can find the "hierarchy" property at the right panel of the filter dialog (at least in SQL Server 2016).

It is not recommended and supported to modify .msdqxfile directly.

Thanks

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 12:28 AM

All replies

• Hi

You probably can do this if you create a derived hierarchy between two entities. If you need to join two entities, that usually means you can define a hierarchy between them. You can find the "hierarchy" property at the right panel of the filter dialog (at least in SQL Server 2016).

It is not recommended and supported to modify .msdqxfile directly.

Thanks

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 12:28 AM
  • Hi,

Of course forgot to mention I'm using MDS 2014. There is not derived hierarchy property in Excel add-on in version 2014.

Even though I understand it isn't recommended to modify mdsqx, I'd like to at least see whether the filtering join could be achieved or not.

Thanks anyway

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 6:32 AM
  • Profound, have you made any progress with this issue?
    Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure Development Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Monday, December 19, 2016 6:48 PM