Add-Ins Tab Keeps Disappearing - Excel 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7 - Excel 2013 32-bit

I have a VBA add-in that was created in Excel 2010. When I install it on a Windows 7 - Excel 2013 computer the "ADD-INS" tab appears, as expected, and my add-in's button appears. However, when I close Excel then re-open it, the "ADD-INS" tab is gone.

My add-in is still loaded. When I go in to the add-in manager I can see that it's still there and it is checked. But in order to get it to be accessible, I have to uncheck it, close then re-open the add-in manager and re-check it again.

I have tried everything I can think of:  disabling all other add-ins, changing Trust Settings to allow just about anything, modifying the add-in load order in the registry, etc.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 6:56 PM

Answers

• Update:

It was, in fact, a Group Policy issue that was causing the add-in to not appear on the Excel ribbon. This was only happening in Office 2013 because the security folks decided to "lock down" Office 2013 to avoid some of the security vulnerabilities they encountered in Office 2010.

• Marked as answer by Marak60 Tuesday, January 12, 2016 5:08 PM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2016 5:07 PM

All replies

• I haven't moved to 2013 yet so I am not sure about this.  You probably have something like this in the add-in.

Sub Workbook_Open()
      Call Create_Menu  'Routine to add menu
    End Sub

Sub WorkBook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)
      Call Delete_Menu  'Routine to delete menu
    End Sub
    When you open it again it might be checking some value and decides it doesn't need to create the menu.  You need to look at the code.  You may need to put in alerts (MsgBox) to determine what is going on.

• Edited by mogulman52 Wednesday, June 10, 2015 1:54 AM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2015 1:53 AM
  • Mogulman,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I also tested using a very simple addin, using the Custom UI Editor for Microsoft Office to generate the XML for the ribbon tab. So, there's no ribbon related code necessary in the in the Workbook_Open or Workbook_BeforeClose events. But I added a MsgBox in both events and they fired just as expected.

The add-in works just fine in Excel 2010; the new tab, group and buttons appear, and function, correctly. But the new tab does not appear at all in Excel 2013. (Note that the add-in *is* loaded but the ribbon tab does not appear).

My research indicates that there should be no difference in appearance or functionality between 2010 and 2013 for ribbon modifications made using the Custom UI Editor.

One other thing of note: I found an Excel Option setting titled "Show add-in user interface errors" (under the "Advanced" options). When I check this option and then try to load my add-in manually in Excel 2013, I get an error message that says "The custom UI associated with this document has been disabled by policy". Very little info available when Googling this error (or Binging it, either) other than it's a group policy setting that should be handled by the IT folks in charge of such things.  I have checked with them and they say that you cannot run Excel 2010 VBA add-ins in a clean installation (i.e. not an upgrade) of Excel 2013... period.  I have not found this assertion anywhere else and do not believe it to be true.

Again, any help will be most appreciated.

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 1:36 PM
  • Update:

It was, in fact, a Group Policy issue that was causing the add-in to not appear on the Excel ribbon. This was only happening in Office 2013 because the security folks decided to "lock down" Office 2013 to avoid some of the security vulnerabilities they encountered in Office 2010.

• Marked as answer by Marak60 Tuesday, January 12, 2016 5:08 PM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2016 5:07 PM
  • What group policy settings?
    Thursday, June 30, 2016 8:17 PM