Will I eventually lose access to my 'classic' Azure storage? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using Azure for a few years now.  Since I started, I have built a fairly complex backoffice around the 'classic' azure storage, and the 'classic' cloud service deployment model.

To clarify, the classic storage cannot be viewed in the visual studio cloud explorer, but only in the legacy 'server' explorer.

My question is if there will be a point where Microsoft stops supporting the classic storage and deployment model all-together.

It wouldn't be impossible to port over all of my storage tables and queues to a new storage account, but man it sure would be a huge pain and strain on resources.  

If so, I would like a date so I can prepare for it.  I asked a similar question about the deployment model alone a while back and got a 'yes eventually you will not be able to deploy against classic model, but we do not know when.

Any clarification would be appreciated!

Edward Schoenherr

Friday, April 6, 2018 5:49 PM

Answers

• Note: Server explorer uses the older Service Management APIs to discover resources. It therefore cannot list any resource deployed/created using Azure Resource Manager APIs.

The server explorer cannot list the ARM storage accounts, because they don’t list in the SMAPI calls.

In simple, for ARM resources use Cloud Explorer and ASM resources use Server Explorer.

Currently, we don’t have any ETA for retiring Classic Storage.

To simplify the deployment and management of resources, Microsoft recommends that you use Resource Manager for all new resources. If possible, Microsoft recommends that you redeploy existing resources through Resource Manager.

OR

Migrate Azure Storage Account from Classic to Azure Resource Manager(ARM).

Disclaimer: This response contains a reference to a third-party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" and “Vote as Helpful” on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Saturday, April 7, 2018 6:29 AM